What's your day job

I’m curious about what everybody does for a living

I am a commercial transport refrigeration mechanic master tech for the past 15 years, also a 3rd year heavy duty mechanic and a journeyman sheetmetal worker (my previous adventures into the world of trades)

Sheet metal was boring and heavy duty mechanics was just too much heavy lifting for the line of heavy duty I was in (mostly excavators and dozers so lots of splitting tracks and hydraulic repairs like swing motors, valve banks, propel motors, hydraulic pumps, rotary manifolds, etc…)

Commercial transport refrigeration mechanics one of those thankless jobs that nobody really thinks about but the money is good and its easier than the heavy duty gig

I’m the guy that maintains and repairs the reefers on trailers and shipping containers so your frozen stuff stays frozen and your produce stays fresh while in transport to the cold storage warehouse or grocery store

So…what helps pay for your 3d printing addiction?

2 Likes

Industrial ammonia engineer, qualified as a Fitter Turner and Machinist in 1984 and worked in the fridge trade from then to date. Run a Transport and Engineering business with 8 technicians on the road. We are the agent for Carrier transport units. Maintain and repair tail lifts, cold and freezer rooms and due to the heat, do the odd AC installation and repair. We also do the repair and maintenance of 5 ammonia cold storage facilities in our area due to the demand to have a local service agent on hand.

1 Like

So you know all about the rpm sensor issues and VDX coil issues on the 7300X4 Carrier reefers lol
And the battery chargers which are on back order along with a few other little quirks lol

I still find Carriers more mechanic friendly over the TK’s especially the Thermo King S600 with its EGR system

Its a 50/50 split between Thermo King and Carrier for me as to which units I work on

I’ve been at this long enough that I still remember working with R12, HP80, MP66 and the recently phased out R22

The old Carrier Phoenix Advantage was a tank

No ammonia for me though, mostly 404A until it gets completely phased out

Retired software engineer - compilers and operating systems for almost 40 years.

3 Likes

Marlin, VS Code, Mainsail and Klipper must be a breeze for you

I struggle a bit with code still, before 3d printing if you talked to me about a Hex file I would have thought you meant some kind of voodoo virus lol

Appreciate your reply and all of your input with what rookies like myself struggle with

Plus I appreciate not being the only old fart in here and by the sounds of it certainly not the oldest old fart :wink:

Marlin and VS Code, sure. I have not dipped my toes into Klipper and Mainsail, haven’t felt the need to do so. I do build my own Marlin for my other printers.

I am definitely in old fart territory.

3 Likes

Hi all. I started out as a labourer in a light engineering firm, turned that into a Fitter/Welder apprenticeship. When my time was up I got a job TIG welding stainless steel castings in an Investment Casting foundry. Worked there for 10 years, bought it and ran it for another 8 years before selling it. I was then hired by the new owner and have been working for him for 12 years.
I run the Investment foundry where we use the Lost Wax method to produce castings in many alloys.
We also use PLA 3D prints as models and I cast from them often.

2 Likes

Field service mechanic for anything from a 2 stroke cutoff saw to a 40’ wide concrete slipform paver since 2005.

Self taught welder, machinist, fabricator, 3d printer user, IT, and now CNC Plasma.

1 Like

I graduated as an Industrial Designer and currently work in an architectural firm as a 3d designer, doing models both digital (for renderings) and physical (3d printed) to visualize the company’s projects.

2 Likes

Back when I was a sheet metal mechanic I used to run the plasma table off the old Vulcan program

Kind of dating myself there lol

Spent most of my life as a planning and production engineer also learning alot of cnc machines as i made all the prototypes.

2 years ago started my own business in manufacturing mainly now doing work for business branding solutions and subcontract style machining.

Business Development for GDDR

Process operator at a pulp mill.

1 Like

65 yr old Retired aerospace engineer (ULA) and now working family business designing test instruments for waste water industry. 3Dprinting allows us to build low volume products that could never be built otherwise. I really enjoy working with my family and creating 3Dprinted parts. It really is a wonderful time to be a maker.

68-year-old retired software engineer, developing and supporting developer tools (compilers and libraries) for DEC, Compaq, Intel (continuous employment for 38 years through buyouts). Still active in programming language standards activities. 3D printing since 2012 - first printer was the original lasercut Printrbot.

1 Like

45-year-old Embedded Software engineer in UK with professional electronics background. Developing “all”, i.e. full lifecycle of newly developed products: electronics, PCB layout, manufacturing order, mechanical part and housing, bring-up and embedded software, PC software.
After design is ready the next part follows up - I do development cycle for ATE (automated test equipment), i.e. the same process of development of testing device(s) to support mass production.

3D printer is used to prepare mechanical parts for prototypes or even batch tor testing.
Bambu X1C helps al lot - virtually no headaches with 3D printing quality.

That’s quite an impressive range of skills you have! Being a master tech in commercial transport refrigeration, a heavy-duty mechanic, and a journeyman sheet metal worker shows your dedication to the trades. It’s fascinating to learn about the behind-the-scenes work that ensures our frozen goods and produce stay fresh during transport. As for my 3D printing addiction, I’m not involved in that field professionally, but I’m always curious about new technologies and the possibilities they offer. It’s wonderful to connect with people from diverse backgrounds like yours and learn about their fascinating professions.

Retired mountain guide turned software engineer.

1 Like

Retired Miner, Worked 42 years underground.

1 Like

5 axis CNC programmer and design engineer