Where does your printer stand?

I am thinking of building a small table with aluminum profile and a solid wooden top.
Should be very stable and for the weight also a paver.

IKEA Bror :joy:

3 Likes

the stool is sending me hahaha

Some people have libraries of books, some have libraries of filament.

The organization is superb! I love it!

:smile:

3 Likes

I think that mp4 file convinced me that foam is the wrong way to go. Instead some kind of vibration dampening matt might make sense, just to get full contact between the paver and the underlying support.

Lmao I know but honestly my prints are looking better than ever and it’s so quiet

2 Likes

@Hobo4ssassin You mean you actually do still print with it on the foam and the printer springing all over the place?

I have mine on a similar setup with a concrete paver and soft foam underneath. It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think Stefan does a good job of explaining it in the CNCKitchen video. If you had the printer bolted to a concrete foundation, then all the acceleration forces from the toolhead go into vibrating and deforming the frame of the printer. If you provide a compliant layer, then those forces get taken up by deforming the compliant layer, instead of the machine frame. Its like a tuned mass damper in a skyscraper. The moving mass takes up forces that would otherwise deform the building to the point of failure in an earthquake.

2 Likes

So foam works better than Sorbothane, which is more of a vibration dampener? Material selection is a bit of a mystery to me.

I gather that the way to do it scientifically is to measure the vibration, run it through an FFT to identify the main frequency, and then somehow use that information to select an appropriate damping material. It’s that last step (selecting the appropriate damping material) that I have absolutely no insight into it. I don’t see in material datasheets the frequency that they are best at damping.

2 Likes

I think i’ll put mine in cabinet and cover the inside of the cabinet with some rockwool. Hope this will help with the noise level. An S shaped channel also with some rockwool and a fan should work for some air to circulate inside.

yes. It looks bad but it’s less that the printer is rocking all over, more that the paver/foam base is absorbing forces.

1 Like

Yeah, tuning the damper is a super difficult problem. There are a ton of modes and they change constantly based on the shape and speed of the print.

There is already a spectrum analysis tool built in to the printer in the form of the input-shaping xy sweeps. It would be nice if that data was available to the user instead of being opaque. Maybe we can lobby Bambu Lab to display the results of the calibration with a graph of the spectrum and the major resonant modes identified. Would be a great way to test different materials and furniture.

2 Likes

@hotdog That’s a great idea! Free data.

1 Like

On my side my X1C sits on some IKEA Bror shelves (l 85 cm x W 54 cm x H 110 cm) (BROR Étagère, noir/bois, 85x40x110 cm - IKEA), with 2 AMS. I have 5 Bror shelves, and the X1C is mainly occupying one of them.

I have some gridfinity boxes with this baseplate to store some parts used for 3D printing (that exact baseplate is not so adequate now that the AMS are not directly on the top of the X1C, i may print something else someday).

Two layers under the printer (to absorb vibrations) :

Few extra rolls of filaments on the side with these supports and cheap 25mm tubes) :

Details of the gridfinity boxes :

Awaiting to be put in proper location … :

5 Likes

I love that sign, epic. I’m no Marlin expert, but wouldn’t G28 on its own home all axes? The X0 Y0 Z0 seems unnecessary. Alternatively G28 X Y Z could be used to direct the homing specifically for those axes, but what do the zeros do?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s probably redundant (G28 would have been enough, but “G28 X0 Y0 Z0” should be 100% legit, as you can use a subset of the extra parameters X/Y/Z to only reset one or two axes). But i suppose it makes sense to have put that on the sign for extra visibility of that line (“G28” alone would have been a bit short).

Anyway i like that sign too :wink:

(there is no place like home 3D displate printing (and i’m not affiliated in any way))

Is this a hobby or an obsession? :yum:

Looks greate!

I whish I had that amount of space.

1 Like

I thought I had searched for all possible combos for printer location so posed this earlier…

Maybe a torsion box design?

1 Like

I don’t have my X1C yet but it looks like wherever I put it, it requires rear access. Am I wrong?

1 Like