Where does your printer stand?

At the least, you’ll need access to clean up the expelled “poop” from the poop chute in the rear of the printer.

1 Like

bbc0

not really… there are several models that redirect the poop chute. And several models that relocate the spool.

Yes, there are certainly some modifications that can be made to limit the need to access the rear of the printer. However, this isn’t going to be an option if there isn’t sufficient room available on at least one side of the printer.

One might still need to get to the rear to do things like clear a poop chute clog, fix a filament jam, or connect/disconnect the AMS. And with the proper filament routing modifications, one might never need to get to the rear for filament routing reasons.

1 Like

Just saying, the only time I ever need to do anything behind the printer is to unplug it. If there’s some other issue like belt tensioning or clearing some major jam (which I’ve never had happen) it’s not like the printer is hard to move…

Yep, all good and valid points. I think you’ve seconded the fact that rear access might be needed at times.

While technically that is rear access, that is surely not what was meant when bbc0 asked if rear access is required :rofl:

Oh boy… I feel like I’m being led into a trap. What was bbc0 asking? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I understood it as wondering if the printer needed to be placed a distance away from the wall so you could access the rear of the printer on a regular basis. If you relocate the spool holder from the rear, the printer can be placed like 10cm from the wall and you’re almost never gonna need to move it. Even if you don’t redirect the poop chute, the turds are just fine to pile up behind the printer and can be easily sucked up with a vacuum hose. Rear access not necessary in 99% of cases.

Ah, I think we’re both providing helpful information then. We’ve pretty much covered in entirety why someone might need to access the rear and some helpful tips to minimize that need.

Well, regarding the need to access the back of the printer, it depends - if you are willing to regulary switch between AMS and external spool, you will have to unplug/plug in again the PTFE tube each time (and you may consider Y splitters or other mechanizms to avoid that, if you plan to switch frequently)

I have mine on a table in my room…that’s bolted to the wall. It’s one of those cheapy tables so, to stop the wobble, that was my solution.

My workbench WAS lag screwed to the wall, but I could hear the printer super loud on the next floor up. That didn’t last long lmao

Would putting the X1C on a lazy-susan be viable? Then you could easily rotate the X1C if/when you need rear access to it.

That would be epic, don’t give me ideas. I want to see my printer DANCE baby!

You guys are a help for sure. I’ve had 6 different printers over the past 6 years (Lulzbot, Ender, Anycubic etc and never had to get to the back ever and since every time I moved them they needed to basically be retuned except for the Lulzbot Mini which was very portable and solidly built. The X1C I know is pretty solid, but I still prefer to have easy access where required.

1 Like

Around 100mm from rear wall should be good, allows the fan to expel air, give you ability to vacuum there (poop, cobwebs) and maybe an arm down there for belt tensioning.

1 Like

wow, that’s a nice table minimaxer, may i ask where did you get it?

thanks!

I guess it comes from this German manufacturer:

1 Like

First I built a enclosure from system profiles. Unfortunately, this was very expensive and took up a lot of space.

Then I went to Ikea and found this solution.

Much more storage space and for noise insulation I will use insulation mats. Since it gets very warm inside and I occasionally want to print ABS and the like, I will install an air vent (to the outside).

3 Likes

Nice. Which Ikea cabinet is that? How is the wobble?

2 Likes