Why/How - Round vs. Square Tree Supports

Hi All,

I’ve been doing some fairly complicated project files lately that sometimes have hundreds of different parts. I’ve noticed that the shape of the supports has been changing for no apparent reason depending on how the part is oriented or even how close it is oriented to other parts. Today I was able to get the same part to show two different shaped supports (Round vs Square - with Round being the more standard) showing up until I changed the Threshold angle above 41deg which changed it from square to round.

The reason I’m asking is that the square supports are much easier to remove on the same part versus the round ones so I’d like to use them more often but I can’t seem to figure out how to actually generate them other than by accident randomly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

2 Likes

Maybe this will help you out let us know

Square Tree Supports?

Interesting read. Thank you. I’ve seen this also but after playing with the Tree Support Branch Distance setting it did not seem to have any effect with the over shape of the support structure (Square vs Round) but did bring the top of the branch supports closer together when using similar settings as in that article.

I still need more enlightenment. lol.

What slicer are you using?

Have you tested it on Orca ?

It’s also talked about on the Ocra support site. Maybe see if this information helps you out for your project.

Square tree supports?

I tried to force the square filament today as well and couldn’t get it to happen. Does anyone have an actual example profile that forces the square tree profile every time regardless of the model?

That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out. When it happens I can repeat it but can’t figure out how to make it happen.

Yeah, we need more eyes on this topic. I can see lots of instances where square support in tree format would be ideal support. I would love to figure out how to force it. Anybody have ideas?

1 Like

Agreed, we do need more eyes on this. I recently printed a lid for a box and it had square tree supports, they seemed to print faster and were really easy to remove but I also cant find a way to make it happen from the settings.

1 Like