X1C board failure on Day 1?

I wanted to see if anyone has any troubleshooting advice. I just got my X1C with AMS. Unboxed and set up, calibrated, connected, and updated firmware. Everything seemed to be working fine and ready to print. I spend some time looking through Bambu Studio, and by the time I was done I saw the printer was offline. Screen was black, no lights on, and not responsive. I turned it off via the back power switch and turned it on, but still not working.

When I turn on the back power button (not the top round button), there is a second when it sounds like it’s starting up and the toolhead LED turns on white, but then it turns off and the machine appears dead. The AP board power light is on solid red (power), but the status light is off which points to no data connection to the MCU. I opened the back panel and all the cables seem seated properly, I even unplugged/re-plugged them in to be sure. PSU is putting out 24V at the MC board, and the MC board LED flashes red every few seconds. The LCD is black and non-responsive. Toolhead red LED is on solid.

There isn’t much I can find on this topic, but did open a ticket a couple days ago with no response yet. The only troubleshooting page that’s relevant discusses either a bad AP board or a short in the chamber LED. Per the instructions I disconnected the chamber LED plug from the AP board but no fix, so that leaves the AP board.

Not sure what else to do other than wait for a response to my ticket. It’s just hard waiting when I have a dead printer and haven’t gotten to print anything yet. Has anyone went through this? How long did it take to get a replacement part or a printer exchange?

1 Like

What’s the longest the printer has been on with no response other than at the very beginning when you flip the switch ?

At the moment it’s been on for about 20 minutes with just the couple red LEDs and no other signs of life.

1 Like

Can you connect your computer via wifi to it or has it not ever got that far ?

Actually try this

Turn the switch in the back off

Unplug the power cord from the printer itself

With the printer unpluged turn the switch on and leave it for a few minutes (in the on position unplugged)

After that turn the switch back to the off position (very important step, turn it back off) then plug it back in

Turn the switch back on and see if it comes to life, it almost seems like the auto switch for which voltage you’re on glitched out and flipped to 220 or 120 Vac depending on where you live in the world

1 Like

Thanks, I definitely appreciate you trying. It was connected to wifi and set up on the computer and iPad, and both show offline now. I did the system discharge too (turned on but unplugged) earlier and no change. I’m in the US, so 120V is proper, and it’s plugged directly into the wall outlet with the Bambu power cable. The machine shows 24V at the MC board power input and the AP 6-pin power cable (from the MC) when “on” so I think the power supply is good.

Possibly the touchscreen/HMI is the issue

When I turn my printer off for maintenance or changing hotends, then turn it back on the toolhead lights up then goes out until I start a print

After that the toolhead stays on

I guess my next question is does the chamber light come on and stay on as it should ?

1 Like

Hello awer25,

I know some guys had some strange problems with the newest firmware update even with lcd screens not working.

My X1 stop working on Wi-Fi after two days with the current firmware I rebooted everything and still not working what fixed my Wi-Fi is I had to update my router’s firmware for the X1 to work again very strange after two days of working :crazy_face:

I don’t know if this will work but take the sd card out format it to fat32 and see if it will boot or boot without the sd card it was also giving people strange problems.

Hope you up and working soon fyi support can take a few days to reply.

Have a good one :v:

2 Likes

The chamber light does not come on at all.

1 Like

Thanks so much! I read about the strange issues with the SD card. I don’t have one in at all.

Ok on sd card well we know that now.

AP

Is that a reset button on the AP maybe hold it down and reboot it ?

Good find, no change unfortunately. I pressed, pressed and held 10 secs, and 30 secs, with the machine off and then on.

Bummer :disappointed_relieved: maybe it’s for flashing the AP board then.

You might already know this but if you don’t and the AP board has failed make sure they get you the correct X1C board do to people have posted they have six versions of these boards.

Note: Before installing the board, please take a picture of the back side of the AP board. The metallic back cover contains a sticker with a QR code which needs to be shared with the Customer Support team

Replacing the AP board / Application Board

Let us know what you find out it will help everyone.

1 Like

Thanks so much for that info, and I’ll post updates as things progress.

1 Like

I had a similar problem with my brand new X1C when I set it up for the first time yesterday. Everything worked fine on set up, connection, etc. but after the firmware update it started just dropping power and refused come back on. After checking the outlet, changing out surge suppressors, unplugging/replugging - by accident, I turned on the switch ON while it was powered off and 10 minutes later when I plugged it back in, it suddenly worked and hasn’t had a problem since!

2 Likes

@awer25 - please let me know how this turns out. I have an open ticket and literally had the EXACT SAME experience. Calibrated and went to print the onboard BENCHY file and it crapped out and just oozed and stalled. I have to power down and when its power cycled it does the quick TH flash and red light and nothing. All wifi shows connection, etc. interior light goes on and off via board and app. Very disappointing and I have a big backorder of stuff I’m trying to fill right now.

Is your primter plugged into a power bar or directly into the wall ?

I’ve been curious if users having similar issues are plugged in directly or if they are using an extension cord or power bar

For the record I’m plugged directly into the wall and my small room is on a 120Vac circuit with a 15 amp breaker on the panel

As well check the micro SD card in the side of the HMI/touchscreen
I replaced mine with a higher quality card immediately and they are extremely difficult to lock fully into the inserted position

At first all of my prints were done via the SD card but I got tired of that after a few weeks and started sending my prints wireles without issue via the slicer
So now the only time I remove my SD card is to clear it out completely and start fresh

1 Like

Have tried both directly and into extension cord. I haven’t even made it the SD Card yet. I tried to print the benchy that comes loaded on it.

After a week of waiting for a response to my support ticket I ordered another X1C and put in a return request for this one. The first response to the return request was that it was faster to get a new AP board, but they would allow a return if I wanted. I elected the return, then got a response saying they needed to get approval for that and asking for my invoice (strange, since I’d think they had that). I sent the Bambu invoice, and am now waiting for a return label.

I eventually got a response to my support ticket stating that it’s the AP board and it would need to be replaced, but I’m trying to go the return/re-buy route instead. If it’s not the AP board, or if they send the wrong one, I can see this issue dragging out a long time.

Also @Jrock my printer was using the Bambu power cord plugged directly into the wall outlet (same, 120V/15A), and I didn’t have an SD card in the slot.

Ok

Lets try to force feed your printer its vegetables

Slice something simple like a cube

Send that file to thr SD card instead of wireless

With your printer off (not unplugged just off) onsert the SD card then flip the switch

Once you send a sliced Gcode to an SD the card is formatted and might have a bin. repository like a simple G28 or M17 command

I have it boxed up to return so I can’t try it easily. If there’s no communication with the AP board though (which the screen/SD card connects to) I’m not sure it would do much. With the exception of two red LEDs, the printer seemed totally dead.