X1C - Can not downgrade FW anymore?

Why can I not dowgrade the FW of the X1C anymore ? I am havin probvlems with the latest 01.07.01 and wanted to roll back, but now ?

ofc I know about the custom FW thing flying around, but customers like me have to suffer from the anxiety now ?

1 Like

It seems to be happening for everyone, including me. Yesterday I had the ability to downgrade to a previous version, and today all i see is “No content yet”.

Perhaps a press release from Bambu might help to explain why ?

1 Like

This is not right. We should be able to downgrade our FW if it fits our needs or wishes. “Right to Repair,” etc.
I was impressed when I found the feature to downgrade firmware easily, unlike the hoops and issues I have experienced on other 3D printers.

2 Likes

There is a third party firmware (they modified bambu firmware adding new features) and it was possible to install it when having older bambu firmware versions.

Most likely bambu disabled downgrades to make it impossible to install it.

Such stupid fight of a company with people trying to make this printer even better.

2 Likes

Bambu has to block firmware roll back as it’s a security risk. You also have to realize that not everyone has the best intentions either. Bambu has really shaken up the industry and has a big target on its back.

1 Like

Same. And don’t tell me “its security issue” FINE make it via SD card only. oh wait they don’t allow that either. This isn’t right, and now i’m stuck with a paperweight until the benevolent overlords push a fix.

2 Likes

FAFO Bambu Lab went back to there original firmware update system.

So i go back to waiting a couple of weeks to see if any major upsets on new releases. Easy peasy! :yum:

2 Likes

I suggest EVERY SINGLE person reading this open a support tickets asking for a downgrade. If they get flooded with request they might reenable it.

3 Likes

Or they will just ignore/close them. I really don’t see them reversing course one this.

I get the feeling that the firmware release cycle is going to become longer as a result of this.

The cat and mouse game has begun.

6 Likes

Its funny in todays world you have to fight to modify your own property, and some printer might be out of warranty already as well. Imagine a car company not allowing you to pop the hood on your own car. What is sad is they own their success to the open source, and many features from Orca slicer were rolled into Bambu Slicer, not sure why the hostility towards people trying to contribute. You put the fine prints… fine… no warranty… NOW LET ME IN! LOL

3 Likes

That’s really a poor analogy. Ever tried to modify the firmware on your cars ECM? Car manufacturers keep this closely guarded. Also, you can open your printer all you want, Bambu even provides detailed part replacement instructions.

11 Likes

Have flashed plenty of ECUs and you can also do quite a bit with an extended function ODB2 probe on BMWs, Lexus etc. My analogy might have not been perfect but the point i was trying to make they are acting in bad faith towards the community whos fruits they reap by blocking firmware rollbacks. At the end of the day its your property, and blocking the FW rollback does nothing good for the end user (whos machine might even be out of warranty by the way). And some might have legitimate reasons for the rollback, not just aftermarket firmware. Dick move.

4 Likes

Me too, I am still back on the last BETA pre v 1.7 as I actually found it better, and had other features that didnt make it into v 1.7 which i wanted, so rolled back a on 1.7 release … and now I am staying on that for now.

Also the Opt in for BETA is there now, but thats pretty scary if we cannot rollback, possibly only to a offical bambu stable past v1.71 but I wont be rejoining beta until we get some statements.

2 Likes

Sounds like Louis Rossman needs to be informed about this.

3 Likes

Well, I unfortunately upgraded all three of my printers. I haven’t used them in a week, so I’m not really sure how it’s going to affect me, but if it does negatively affect me and I can’t roll them back, all of my printers are still in warranty and my credit card will let me do a chargeback so if I have a problem And they won’t allow me to roll it back so it works again. I’ll just charge back on all three printers, and they’re gonna lose all three of them.
Maybe that makes them open their eyes

My iPhone worked better on the previous software too, oh wait that’s an American company doing it so I guess it’s OK then.

1 Like

Nah, not really ok for them either. At least they give you a grace period to roll back (most of the time).

Just found this Rooted: The Good the Bad and Freedom of Choice (bambulab.com) Hopefully soon.

On Tuesday I will take delivery of my first X1 carbon combo. What worries me is updating the FW during the initial setup to something unusable ( as has just happened with my once reliable Ender 3 S1 Pro)
The question I have is it possible to choose version of FW known to be reliablle, are there versions to avoid and finally if I do get a duff version how easy is it to downgrade the FW to get a reliable printer.
I 'm sorry for asking what must be a common question but this issue has me losing sleep in case I end up with another useless printer.

as long as you install it on any day that ends in “day” you will be fine.