Zits/Blobs with PETG HF 0.8mm nozzle

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had such an issue and was able to solve it.

I use:

• Bambu X1C
  • 0.8mm nozzle
  • Textured PEI Plate
  • PETG HF (tried both black, white, and translucent).
    Filament was dried for 8 hours at 65c using Creality Filament Dryer and stored within the container with desiccants.
  • I print at 0.40mm standard layer height and 0.82mm wall width.

Issue: For some reason I get these zots/blobs or tiny holes in the print. Printing a simple text cube. See photos:

Here’s what I tried so far:

• Completes both standard flow rate and flow dynamics calibrations
    (Wasn’t easy, for some reason PETG HF presets are not performing best).
    Current flow rate: 0.98, Density 1.28.
  • Tried reducing print resolution from 1.28 to 0.5.
  • Tried reducing plate temperature to 60-65c.
  • Tried classic and Arachne wall generation modes

What I suspect:

• Didn’t try yet to disable “Reduce infill retraction” under the Other > G-code settings.
  • Did not touch retraction settings at all under the Filament settings > Setting overrides.

Does anyone have any toughts?
Thanks!

I have not had much luck with the .8 nozzle. More zits and blobs, less effective retraction, … and due to flow being limited by the meting chamber (which is identical for all nozzle diameters) rather than the nozzle diameter it does not speed up a print significantly.
Try to see in the slicers preview if switching to 0.6 or 0.4 nozzles does increase print time of your model significantly.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the 0.4mm and it does decrease the above issue but print time doubles, which is unfortunate. I was really hoping to get better results with the X1C for the 0.8m.

That is unfortunate. I have not seen many success stories with .8 in the forum.
It seems that the .6 is a more popular.
You could try increasing retract speed and length for the filament, but, in particular with PETG, that increases the likelyhood of heat creep and hence nozzle clogs.
So, apart from looking at 3rd party nozzles, I would assume that there are limits to what is achievable in terms of quality vs speed.

Unless somebody else has further insights?

Reduce your flow rate to.95 and dry the filament at heat for 24 hours and let sit until humidity in box is 16%

Will give it a try, will update.

I had major issues with zits after switching to the 0.6 mm nozzle. After a lot of experimentation, I found the magic setting: retraction length. On the 0.4 mm printer profile, the retraction is 0.8 mm. On the 0.6 mm nozzle, the default retraction is 1.4 mm. After setting it back down to 0.8 mm, everything was fine.

1 Like

Interesting! It seems these settings are turned off, but upon enabling the checkbox it puts the 0.8mm as default value. Will try my next print with it.
Had issues with it for the last 2 days so maybe that will move a needle. Thanks for the tip!

By the way, did you play with the layers speeds at all?

I think you are looking at the filament setting override for retraction. The actual setting is in the printer profile under the “extruder” tab.

With regard to layer speed, yes, I noticed faster was better. However, it just seems to hide the issue. What I noticed was I could hear the nozzle popping as it was printing. The speed did not keep the nozzle from making the popping noise. Reducing the retraction did.

popping generally indicates wet filament. Heat it for 24 hours, then let sit for 24 hours. PETG-HF prints like a dream for me, and almost makes me not want to use PLA at all.

It’s not wet. I dried for more than 48 hours. The retraction is sucking in air.

i also got rid of PETG (basic) blobbing by changing Retraction Length to match Z-Hop when retract. my PLA prints haven’t been affected by this change, so it’s now part of my default printer profile when using the 0.8mm nozzle. hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I adjusted accordingly and walls seem much cleaner now, but I printed a vase. Will try to print a simple shape. The strange thing is that I can’t execute any calibration properly.