A1 and Bambu Studio Issues: Z-hop retractions and Axis Limits

Hello,

I’m new to the 3D printing world but come with a wealth of experience in the machining metals industry, providing me with extensive knowledge of G codes and the kinematics of complex 5-axis machines.

I recently received a Bambu Lab A1 (without AMS) and have observed some unexpected behaviors or issues in both the machine and the BambuStudio software:

Software:
In Bambu Studio (Mac OS version 1.8.2.56), sometimes the slicer fails to generate Z movement retractions, causing the nozzle to scratch the print.
Example:
Between the lines N96280 and N96282, the slicer doesn’t generate a Z retraction, resulting in the nozzle scratching the piece. It occurs several times during the 3D printing.

Hardware:

• During the start printing process, the X and Y axes reach the limits of their travel, resulting in “collisions”. Could this be due to a misadjustment of the limit switches?
  • Also, during the start printing process, the extruder attempts to move the filament before beginning to heat it, producing a troubling sound similar to a clog. Subsequently, it starts heating the filament and functions properly once it reaches the melting temperature.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Did you file a ticket including the print logs? There shall be some kind of article in the wiki covering this as far as I remember :slight_smile:

I have noticed all of this on my A1 but havent had any real failures due to this so I figured it was normal.

Thank you for your prompt response. Currently, I haven’t filed a support ticket, as I wanted to gather insights from the community first. I appreciate the suggestion to check the wiki for relevant articles; however, I couldn’t find specific information on this issue.

It does surprise me that this hasn’t been reported before, but I might have overlooked it. Before opening a ticket, I thought it would be valuable to tap into the collective knowledge here. If anyone has experienced something similar or has tips to share, I’d love to hear them.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about long-term considerations and the potential impact on the machine’s lifespan

I hope you find the answer, if it wasn’t for your post I would have thought it was normal. Although I did think the Extruder was weird when it tried feeding when cold as I would never try that with my custom built.

fair points :smiley: let me think about it and get back to you soon-ish. any additional information e.g. an error message might help here and I must re-read your original post again - seems like I wasn’t reading carefully enough :sweat_smile:

Or maybe my English is not clear enough. :sweat_smile:
There isn’t any error message, so I can’t provide you with more information… unless you need my code file or some kind of internal log file. If you need something, tell me the what and how I can obtain it, and I’ll send it to you.

There’s also the possibility that everything is normal. :crazy_face:

1 Like

that is fair LOL :joy: I hope we will find out soon

Maybe these videos can help you.
Scratching
Extruder

I experienced the same. The X-Axis does a scratching sound while moving (always). The nozzle also scratches the infill of my prints, resulting in a failed print. I printed the double rotor helicopter and the nozzle pushed against the infill and the whole print got detached. So far the A1 is really concerning when it comes to some issues. Yesterday i had massive stringing issues, which seem to be mostly gone today but with a new issue now instead

Okay @Milosh_Keat , I think I understand the issue related to the nozzle scratching. It seems that the slicer doesn’t generate retractions when it moves rapidly within the same type of line. In other words, if the nozzle quickly moves from one XY point to another XY point, at the maximum feed rate, and both points belong to the same type of line, the slicer doesn’t retract in the Z-axis, even if the trajectory passes through lines already deposited in the same layer.

1 Like

Orca Slicer have the same “issue” too.

That should be reported and fixed asap

Yes, I reported it last Friday. I’m still waiting for a response. Today is Monday, so perhaps I will receive a response tomorrow or on Wednesday. (I hope so).
I’m m having several failed prints due to the nozzle scratching against the piece, and this is forcing me to add a brim to the print to increase adhesion. This leads to more post-processing time after printing.

1 Like

Wanted to chime in and add that I am experiencing the same issue. A number of failed prints due to the nozzle scratching on the surface of the print.

1 Like

Seems like they‘ve fixed the start up Extruder klicking due to updating Bambu Studio

With less precise hardware there is point in doing as few z movements as possible, perhaps only shifting up once when beginning a new layer.

So there is actually a surprisingly large amount of z-lifts going on here, when compared to other printers I have had.

Clicking? I would rather say it’s more of a cracking sound. It seems like more than just a minor noise, as if the extruder mechanisms are being strained. In the new version of BambuStudio (1.8.4.51), I’m still encountering the same issue.

1 Like