Ams fails to push filament to the extruder

Thank you for all your posts and updates! I just tried to install the AMS for the 1st time today and would not load the filament properly. Im going to go through some of the things you mentioned before I submit a support ticket.

I am have the same thing with the AMS every time I use it. It worked for the 1st roll of pla from Bambu until it was almost gone. It started faulting after that. Then I had some bad PLA and had to remove it. Now it’s stuck feeding infinitely. Why would this not have a time out. Do you know what the torque specifications on the four bolts to hold the PTFE section in?

We bought a second X1 Carbon as we testing them to replace our daily working printers (MK3’s) and the AMS would not load PLA-CF it loads all other filament including PETG-CF, tried all bays and multiple rolls with the same error so I’m thinking it could be firmware. I should be able to update soon (IT permissions etc.)
meanwhile the support answer to my ticket was " About carbon-filled filaments and any other abrasive filaments they are not in general advised to be used with AMS due to excessive wear they can do to the internals of the AMS" which is true, the CF materials are abrasive as heck but then don’t advertise that you have that option!! I love how fast it prints and the printer is allot of fun but… we’ll see.

Did you get your Rfid working?

I’m going through the same issue… got the printer 3 days ago with 2 AMS and only one of them feeds filament… the one that came with the printer suddenly stopped feeding and stays in a constant loop of pushing back and forward on the extruder inlet…
I did everything as you did and still have the same issue :frowning:

Does your buffer do this? (second video on the first post)
https://forum.bambulab.com/t/problems-with-loading-the-filament-from-ams-to-printer/28416
Then it could be your filament buffer.
Do your spools also rewind very quickly so that the filament expand in the whole AMS until it gets back on spool and everything is knotted? > they send me an new Motherboard for the AMS and the problem is now gone.

1 Like

That’s right! Exactly the same issue!

Just got my p1s and AMS combo approximately 10 days ago, I’m having the same issue as everybody else with it not feeding first thing I did was take apart the hotend even though I clean the other one it still wouldn’t work so I replaced the hotend because every time I had an issue with my any cubic mega x that was the issue. When it didn’t clear the problem, I turned to the forums here. I have yet to take my AMS apart, but hopefully I will find the same problems (minor problems preferably) that everyone else has found regarding the AMS feeding issue. I have done a lot of prints since I got this unit and I’m very pleased with it, until last night. I don’t do posts, but I’m frustrated so , here we are.

1 Like

my issue is different but along the same lines. ill make a post.

I hade the same issue on the 2nd day of owning the printer. I ended up having to do 3 times what MunirAdlan41 here mentioned with his steps that resolved it for him. I however was able to push the filament through all 4 slots of the branching part when the 6 screws where unscrewed. Only when I tried all the steps for the third time I was able to resolve it by this time pushing the filament back and forth. Then finally two small broken filament pieces fell out.

I find it also really odd that the machine keeps jamming it in there when its clear that something is stuck. When It finally stops, it stops in a way where it also holds in the material at the top, so you can’t even pull that part out.

did you ever solve the issue? This is what happens to me.
if I cut the filament it will work.

I am having the same issue - Just received my AMS yesterday & it will not push filament into extruder. It hits a point in the extruder then retracts it.

Couple weeks at the least.

I had same issue with my new unit and filed a ticket with all required documents (log, video…etc). BL sent replacement PCB and motor (mine also had retraction issue) in two business day, but they sent them via snail mail that took a week to get to me.

Cut off about 8” of filament. Turn off the printer. Now whichever slot is giving you a problem, manually push the filament into the 1st stage feed hole. Push it down as far as you can, if it comes to a hard stop, you probably have a piece of broken filament in there.

I was getting a bunch of “Cannot feed filament into extruder. Then the error message changed after a few tries and said a piece of filament is stuck in the AMS.

You will have to take the tray out of the AMS and look on the bottom to see if the filament is in the tubing.

You will then probably have to pull the tubing out of the 4-way manifold to remove the piece. Then reverse your steps to get going again.

I hope this is your problem and solution because it is an easy fix.

Problem solved - Here it was the Bowden tube on back of printer was shoved into printer too much. Pushed it back now loading is a breeze.

Filament. I use SUNLU and eSuns. I would switch to a new spool and it would be fine again.

This is a really good thread. I’m receiving my first P1S/AMS next week and if I have any issues with AMS I’ll come to this post.

Had a problem with AMS failing to push into P1S extruder recently. No clog or anything like that (manual filament feeding was ok). After clicking like 10x retry it was able to push it in.

It didn’t matter which AMS slot, so I replaced buffer with another one that I had (just to see if anything will change) and… problem is gone.

No idea why as I don’t see anything bad or damage in “old” buffer.

same problem with 1 week old p1s, had to disassemble the extruder twice to get stuck bambu pla out. Only happens in slot 2. BUT, on the bright side I now know how to take the whole hot end/extruder gears etc apart and put back together and drop springs on the floor and take 1/2 hour to find it.