Color touchscreen for P1P/P1S

If Bambu Lab Can put such a nice color touchscreen on it’s lowest cost printer the A1 mini. How about upgrading the P1P/P1S? Perhaps with revision 2?
Or offer an upgrade for purchase for existing P1P/P1S?

4 Likes

In my opinion, Bambu Lab would never put such touchscreen on P1P or P1S because of the product positioning strategy.
Just like Apple would never put the 120Hz Screen on the standard iPhone.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping for this. Someone made a P1Touch add on mod but I don’t want to mess with that. And I think it doesn’t do anything with the AMS. I accidentally ordered the P1S at home. Wanted the X1C at work but boss said let’s order the less expensive one. I shouldn’t have mentioned that one. Only to find out I can’t connect it at work wireless and there is no USB and no Ethernet and so I can’t select or set different color filaments in the AMS from the stupid little LCD display. I can do it from Bambu Studio so I only need a Bambu Studio incorporated into a touchscreen that I can install in place of the stupid little LCD display. Reminds me of Canon cameras back in 2004 where all the firmware is there its just not enable. Gotta pay for a whole other one with all the features unlocked or hack it / jailbreak it.

1 Like

It’s as simple as buying a cheap router and setting up your own LAN that you can connect to.

2 Likes

I know but I can’t do that at my work place. So I have to deal with it until maybe I can trade up to the X1E and use a laptop straight to it.

The router doesn’t have to be connected to anything else or even the internet. It’s simply a wireless bridge between the printer and your laptop.

4 Likes

Why would this be inpossible? All you need is your boss to aprove a dedicated router for the printer that only the printer is connected to (and the device with makersworld on it)

It can be separate from the company network, not connected to anything.
Just tell him it is the result of getting a cheaper model.

1 Like

its $8.50 for an ESP32 screen that can run Xtouch on amazon. i use them on all my P1’s they rock

2 Likes

I would have to guess the control board being used in the P1 is incapable of running a fully display such as the X1. It is the same reason the camera FPS is so low. They didn’t just disable features for the P1 but are actually using a different control board.

1 Like

this is correct to my understanding, it would have to be like the X-Touch or the Panda Touch where the screen has its own processor and is basically just the mobile app but attached to the front of the printer.

1 Like

I have the panda touch and I don’t want miss it.

I have heard good things about the Panda, but haven’t had the ability to use it yet.

I am contemplating trying out the xtouch. It’s so cheap and simple I figure why not.

The x-touch is more or less ideal for what I want. I ordered the screen from one of the links in the git-hub description, from ali express, since I was unsure of the exact model from elsewhere. Installed the software, built a case to take it and small usb power bank, and can see more or less print progress in another room, in lan only mode. Well worth the money and time.
However Bambu have said they may put more security on the wifi, which will break it and the Panda, but they also say they will release an api. This, may or may not happen. If they limit the api, or don’t ralease it, then the xtouch can be used for something else, or if not, you’ve not lost much. Of course, you can always remote access with your phone (or android tablet), into a pc running Bambu Studio.

The BTT Panda Touch is a beta product at best. Misspellings in the UI, it has a battery but no way to monitor capacity, power draw issues, power supply issues in that you can’t run it on DC5V unless you switch to battery mode, trouble with wifi, trouble losing its connection to the P1 printer even though the access code is the same, the list goes on… Maybe give them a few months to a year so they can deal with their mountain of support requests and release new firmware.

1 Like

Hmm, only issue I’ve had is having to keep it in battery mode for the time being, and they’ve sent a board to repair that. Haven’t had any issues with wifi, or losing it’s connection. Not conncerned with battery capacity given we’re on v1 of firmware. The only real issue I’ve had that I have to keep in mind is the Z controls are inversed.

But hey, I paid $49 and find it works better than x-touch.

According to the company, it’s not even possible to monitor battery because they used that functionality on the ESP32 for something else.

Good to know. Looks like I will just do the Xtouch mod instead.

1 Like

the color touch screen looks great but i have to ask, since day 1 when i recieved my printer (p1s) like 3 months ago i have used the printer controls maybe 2-3 times for intial set up. Every other time i have used my pc to do pretty much everything i need.
Do we really need it or is more for show?

1 Like

It depends where your pc/printer is located. I find the xtouch useful, since the phone app does not work in lan mode, and I’m not always by the pc or printer.

1 Like