Editing 3D Text in slicer

Has anybody come up with a way to edit 3d text generated in the slicer yet? As far as I have found, you have to delete and recreate it if you want to change it once it’s been generated.

It would be wonderful if we could edit the text after creating the text without having to delete the existing object entirely, losing any scaling/rotation/translation work performed.

4 Likes

Indeed. Found this as well 2 days ago.

@BambuLab ?

2 Likes

On the Left side Menu you have to switch from Global to Objects, than you can, a little down, switch between the main Object and the text Object an edit them.

5 Likes

…which is not possible. I can not edit the existing text

2 Likes

Please, it was a Pleasure.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t find a way to change the text there, nor do I know anybody else who can. Changing per-object print setting overrides or transforms aren’t really the same things most would consider to be “editing text.”

It seems that the tool is creating a static 3d mesh from the input text. That’s fine and all, but it’d be a useful feature to have the tool automatically regenerate it without the manual steps required today.

1 Like

There is a feature request here [FEATURE REQUEST] Edit Text after placement · Issue #262 · bambulab/BambuStudio · GitHub

1 Like

I also cannot change the Text itself, but i can delete (right click) and then apply a new Text to main Object. i I can manipulate the existing Text, change Position, Orientation, Size and many more.

1 Like

Come on Team Bambu!!
Its been two months and we still cant change the txt???

2 Likes

I just downloaded the new Public Beta 1.5 with the hopes that this editing issue had been addressed, especially since the new version added new TEXT wrap-around features. I found that there IS now a new “Edit Text” menu choice but it is DISABLED. I was very disappointed that this issue doesn’t seem to work in the new Beta version. I’ve also been working with the SoftFever forked version. Now that there is an “Edit Text” button available, does anyone think the “forked” version could “Enable” this Button/Feature?

Well, I’m still trying to get the hang of the new “Text” feature in the new beta version, but I have now figured out that even though I can’t “Edit Text” of a previously created model in the Studio Production version 1.45, if I delete the text box and recreated it again in the new 1.5 Beta version, the new “Edit Text” button is then enabled and works with the newly created text. I wish it could “Edit” previously created text models but, at least, I now see that if I add any new text using the new Beta version, I can later EDIT that text without having to delete it and start over! THANK YOU, BAMBU LABS STUDIO programming team!

This is sad. I searched for a method to edit text, but found nothing. Now I use the last beta.
software project description

Well, unfortunately, after I wrote the above comments stating that I COULD re-edit a “Text” phrase, I found out that the re-edit ONLY worked as long as I had not “SAVED” the project and exited. Once I exited and reloaded the project, the “edit text” button is disabled again. I had hopes that this might be fixed in the new version 1.5.0.60 but, alas, it is still not working. Bambu programmers, PLEASE fix this in the next version!

Hallo zusammen
Ich versuche einen Text zu erstellen der geprägt ist und komme da nicht weiter.
Text der auf dem Objekt liegt geht alles gut aber würde gerne einen geprägten Text erstellen.
habe es mit -1 versucht geht aber nicht.#
wer kann mir da helfen

gruss PML

Is there a way to make negative text in the object?
I try to put -1 but it dont work and it adjust itself back to 0,10

1 Like

I change its Type to a Negative Part to get embedded. Not sure that is the right way but it works for me.

Can you explain to me how to do this? sorry i’m prety new with this

1 Like

Not a problem. I consider myself pretty new to all of this as well.

Set the “Thickness” slightly above the embedded depth you eventually want to set your text. Place on the object as you normally do…

Then on the left side of the window, click on “Objects”.

Find your “text shape” and right click it for the menu and then select “Change Filament” and select a contrasting color for the text. (This is done to make it easier to place it in the next step. The color will go away once we change its Type.)

(Shortcut: To change the color of an object, simply click on the colored rectangle to the right of it and a menu of the current color filament will appear for you to select.)

Now that you have changed its color. Right click on your “text shape” again and select “Change Type”…

Now select “Negative Part” from the menu and hit “OK”.

Your text will now turn semi-transparent which denotes it is a Negative Part…

Now select the text so only it is highlighted and not the part.

Now you can move it around and embed it into your part. If the text completely disappears, that means its inside the part which is not what you want.

Once you have it embedded, click on “Slice Plate” to see the results. If you don’t like it, go back to “Prepare” and keep working at it.

That’s all there is to it. Let me know if that works for you or if you have any other questions.

6 Likes

Thanks for the extensive explanation! i got it now.

3 Likes

This is a great write up!

One suggestion to maybe make things a little easier – while using the surface checkbox, use the “embedded depth” to set how “deep” the text is on the surface.

In this case, the thickness doesn’t matter.

When you then change the type to negative part, the embedded depth will be taken into account to cut into the surface. This way you can position the text on the surface, but then not bother “moving it” into the surface, but relying on the embedded depth instead.