First layer too thin

It looks like I’m the only one experiencing inconsistencies of the first layer height.
For some unKnown reason, first layer tends too be printed too near to the bed, to the point that the nozzle makes a rubbing sound against the bed. No damages to the bed yet. I changed the nozzle, tried the other side of the bed, … No improvement. I switched settings to a first layer height of 0.4 mm and I could print. But I got better results placing a piece of paper between the nozzle and the bed during the bed levelling, This is very inconvenient, but at least I can print. The worst thing is that sometimes (maybe one in ten times), out of the blue, the machine recover its senses and then, first layer is printed too hight and it doesn´t stick.
Anybody knows what is happening to my machine? I really miss a first layer fine tunning Z in the firmware

1 Like

I would like to change that setting to !

Hi, ever found a real solution rather than the paper workaround for this? Got my first 3d printer (A1) some days ago and really wondered about the first layer, scratching over the build plate.
Will try the paper workaround on my next print, thanks for the idea!

Try to increase the first layer height to something like 0.3-0.4mm to help give some clearance during that initial layer. If it doesn’t work, Orcaslicer allows you to use a Z offset to raise or lower the entire print.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately increasing the layer height has not made a significant impact. The nozzle scratched over the build plate when going over from bed leveling to printing. Printing of the first layer was fine then, but when starting with the second layer the nozzle scratched over the first layer and messed it up.

Right now i print everything with the paper workaround mentioned by @gcon114 , this works fine but it’s very annoying as i have to do this for every print.

If the first layer is going down fine then it may be other slicer settings causing the 2nd layer to hit and peel up the first layer.
A few ideas that come to mind:

1. First layer over extrusion. I have my Bottom surface flow ratio set to 0.98 to slightly under extrude on the first layer. Also make sure your flow is calibrated correctly or slightly reduce to see the results.
  2. Use Z hop to avoid collisions
  3. Slow down the first layer to get better adhesion
  4. Clean your build plate. I like using alcohol but others prefer hot water and soap. Whatever works for you but a clean build plate helps a lot

Hi,

i do not think that the first layer is printed as it should. Even with a higher first layer height (no matter if 0.28, 0.3 or 0.4) the nozzle scratches over the build plate when going over from bed levelling to printing. This cannot be right.
Then the first layer is printed, but even though i set the height to 0.28 in the last print, it looks thinner than the 0.2 first layer with the paper workaround (in other prints) or the subsequent layers (0.2 as well).
I’m not that experienced with 3d printers (yet), but as long as the nozzle scratches over the build plate before printing i do not suspect an issue with build plate adhesion, over/under extrusion or speed.

Regarding Z-Hop i’m not aware of this setting in the slicer right now, but i’ll check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve cleaned the build plate just today with hot water and soap, as suggested in the bambu wiki. Alcohol was explicitely not recommended for the textured build plate:

The reason why we recommend detergent for cleaning the textured plate is due to its textured surface. Alcohol might just spread the oils on the print surface instead of removing it.
Detergent acts as a degreaser and using a sponge or scrubber to wash the plate will ensure the detergent reaches inside the textured surface to clean it and improve adhesion

Ya, none of my suggestions are going to help if it’s dragging from leveling to the first move.
It seems that the Z offset that the printer is using vs what is probed is incorrect. I think I know a way to edit the Start G code to include a slight offset, but I’ll let someone else respond on how to do that if that’s the correct thing to do.

One thing that comes to mind is to check that the nozzle latch is secured, maybe take off the nozzle and reseat it.

What I would do as a quick fix is use OrcaSlicer and the Z Offset setting that is only available there (not Bambu Slicer as far as I know). Try 0.2 or 0.3mm and see if that helps.

Hi there! The first layer should be spot on without using paper while leveling. Are you sure your bed is trammed right?! My suggestion would be to get the bed tramming gcode file and perform the tramming procedure. Make sure you remove the PEI plate while executing the gcode. When tramming you can use a piece of paper if you don’t feel comfortable judging the clearance by eye. Once trammed correctly, perform a full auto level calibration. You should have a (near) perfect first layer now.

Good luck!

Bed tramming can be found here:

Also, what bed type are you using and do you have the correct one selected in the slicer?
I saw that the start code is compensating for the texturing on the plates and applying a -0.02mm offset with the G29.1 command.

;===== for Textured PEI Plate , lower the nozzle as the nozzle was touching topmost of the texture when homing ==
;curr_bed_type={curr_bed_type}
{if curr_bed_type==“Textured PEI Plate”}
G29.1 Z{-0.02} ; for Textured PEI Plate
{endif}

Maybe if you’re using a smooth plate and have textured selected that is what’s causing the nozzle to be too far down, although 0.02mm is pretty small.

This is also where you could make a change to the Z offset within Bambu Slicer, but I don’t want to recommend without knowing more and testing myself.

1 Like

Fixed it 100% tightening the bolts that hold the hotend to the artificial stone. I don´t miss the Z babystepping anymore…

2 Likes