HELP! PLA Warping, nothing helps

Hey everyone,
After quite a few successful prints, I started having an issue with my PLA warping at the front corners. I am using a few brands of pla and keep having the same issue.
Using this test print, I have tried bed temps between 45 and 75 degrees (nozzle at 220) in 5 degree increments with the same results. The best results were at 60 degrees with the aux fan off, but the corners still had a slight warp. I have tried using adhesives and brims but neither help, and sometimes prints warp straight out of the brim.
I am using the generic PLA setting in BS with changes to bed temp, and the aux fan.

2 Likes

Are you using the correct plate for PLA?

You can add a brim to help with that, however, are you printing with the top off or on? It might be that you are getting a breeze of air from your AC that causes that.

You can also try adding the adhesive stick that came with your printer.

Another possibility is the filament quality issues.

1 Like

I am using the High temp PEI plate that came with the P1P. It doesnā€™t have a top so thatā€™s not an issue. I have tried multiple brands of PLA including Bambu Lab and they are all stored dry. I have used a glue stick (Bed Weld) that has worked on other printers, but not this one. I have also printed with a brim, but the warping is so bad that it breaks away from the brim (the brim stays on the bed, but the printed object comes off). since the OP I have tried adjusting nozzle temp, which did not make a difference.

I got about 30 hours of printing in before this problem started. I have recalibrated as well.

Just going to use rafts until I can get it figured out.

Can you show a picture of your design. Some features might tend to wrap more.

For starters lower your infill and change the infill type, letā€™s say you are using hexagons, try honeycomb or gyro and lower the infill %.

Also clean your bed with soap/detergent and warm water throughly.

If you can show me a picture of your design. Wrapping is not common in PLA but none the less possible.

I agree with cleaning the bed. Did you try that?

If your P1P is in a cold environment, two things might help.
1.) Smooth PEI plate, it has much higher adhesion than textured, usually PLA will pull the plate itself from the magnet instead of pull off (and you can counter that with plate brackets if its a large part pulling at the edges)
2.) Enclosed chamber - i print in my garage overnight, itā€™s too cold, will end up warping anything I print. with an enclosure (i use a grow tent) the temperatures are much more stable and can successfully print without warping.

3 Likes

As others have said cleaning your bed will help. I have a spray bottle of IPA 90% alcohol next to my printers and every so often I will spray the plate and wipe dry with a piece of kitchen roll. Because you developed this issue after 30 hours, I think a dirty plate is the most likely culprit.

Also the AUX fan isnā€™t needed for PLA in my opinion and can cause warping. I had 1 P1P from pre order so have 1 fan but I havenā€™t even installed it. Maybe if your printing at ludicrous you need it but I donā€™t print at those speeds.

Also what temperature of the room you are printing in and is it drafty? Cold rooms and cold drafts can all contribute to warpingā€¦

4 Likes

Be sure to leave out the AUX fan for PLA, otherwise you will have warping in any case.
If IPA is not enough for you, use normal washing-up liquid + hot water and wash the plate with it.
Then wash the plate again and again with IPA, every 1-3 printing processes, depending on the situation.

1 Like

Alright everyone, I appreciate the help.

My office is set at 65 F using radiant heating so thereā€™s no air movement.

The bed has been washed with dish soap and hot water and then dried.

I am also using a Layerneer bed weld glue stick which hasnā€™t really helped and I have had no issues with print adhesion, aside for the warping.

Did a large print (15 hours) today while I was at work and had it on a raft. The raft did end up warping but kept the issue from the main print. Guess I will just do that from now on.

Again, thanks for all the help.

2 Likes

Something I donā€™t think other mentioned: quality of your filament. The cheapest ones do tend to have all sorts of issues, including abnormal shrinking which can result in warping and delamination.
Print test cubes, small medium and large and compare the deviation.

1 Like

I have the same issueā€¦PLA warping on PEI plate. I do believe the AUX Cooling Fan that was part of the Early Bird gift is the culprit. I started a print this morning before work, and selected the AUX Fan to be ā€˜OFFā€™ during the print. I also altered the slicer settings to keep the Part Cooling fan off for the first 5 layers.

I hope this solves the issueā€¦

2 Likes

turn your Aux fan off or 20% max, use gluestick on the textured plate. The Bambu textured plate is the worst PEI plate Iā€™ve ever used. I pretty much exclusively use a smooth aftermarket PEI plate now, and have a textured aftermarket one on the way.

2 Likes

I have this smooth plate and itā€™s awesome, love it. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804661099106.html

I ordered this textured one as well.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804439271836.html

IDK why nothing wants to stick to the stock Bambu PEI plate without glue stick.

2 Likes

I want to make a second recommendation for that Energetic PEI plate from AliExpress. Iā€™ve got one on my X1C and itā€™s fantastic, and Iā€™m waiting for a second for my P1P.

Smooth Matte PEI is what I have on all my other printers, and I love it.

1 Like

( I still have to order plates and get my printer installed )

So, you are able to print PLA (and maybe materials) without glue stick?
Just normal wipe down with IPA between prints? No adhesion issues, printing with brim?

Is there a particular reason to order the textured one?
Iā€™m wondering if I should order both? Or just the one?

Iā€™m coming from an ender 3 with heated glass plate, 65 & 205 initial temp.

1 Like

Yes, with the Energetic plates I never use glue sticks for adhesion or even Magigoo for release, theyā€™re just working. The textured plate is better for PETG in my experience, and depending on the print I want a smooth or textured surface.

If I had to do it again Iā€™d order the plate that has smooth on one side and texture on the other, but I had ordered a double smooth and it worked great, so I ordered a double texture also.

2 Likes

Thank you for confirming!!

2 Likes

The same for me ! It made me crazy I see many p1p owners who donā€™t have this problem and I donā€™t understand why .

Textured bed with pla without glue warp with big print ( like the enclosure mod) petg still warp.

The biggest problem it s the corner at 90 degree and the print much taller than 3/4 cm

I have close my printer with some cardboard and use glue . I had some improvement.

Now I ordered one sided smooth energetic bed (that I have see itā€™s 257x257ā€¦ p1p says 256x256 :eyes:)

I came from prusa mk3s+ and pla or petg stick like hell on smooth pei (With the same cold temperature anyway)!

1 Like

Ciao Hai avuto qualche miglioramento per il warp sulla p1p anche io sto combattendo con gli angoli a 90Ā° ma per adesso non ho avuto grande fortunaā€¦ grazie mille

Was there any resolution for this other than printing on a raft? I really donā€™t want to have to do that and printing a brim is not helping. The prints seem to warp no matter what and come up from the bed on the edges. Every print over 50mm is warping on the edges including benchy models. I cannot print a ā€œflatā€ part to save my life and Iā€™ve tried nearly everything I can think of.