Is Bambu Silver PLA pure garbage?

Weird. You would think the problem is in the filament than indeed.

Did you try a different AMS slot?

Also it is worth measuring the diameter of the filament end how consistent it is. I have had issues using ABS that had thicker parts in the filament line. The printer assumes the filament diameter is constant so that might be a cause.

1 Like

Glad I did a search for Silver PLA as I have had some issues trying to print on Silver PLA Basic (Mac mini case to give indication of scale). As a newbie I figured it was because it was a large model. Based on your post I just tried to print in Black PLA Basic with exactly the same settings (apart from AMS source) and the difference is very stark. Attached pics are from 2 sides.

I did try something small and it seemed fine. I also switched to Gyroid infill as the nozzle was hitting the base after a few layers on Silver.

I guess I am naive in thinking manufacturer material of same type would have a consistent experience. From a quick search looks like some issues go back to February (so not just a bad batch).

What lso might cause this issue is the max flowrate or max volumetric speed.

For generic PLA this is set to 12mm^3/s

For BBL Basic PLA this is set to 22mm^3/s

Try setting this value to 12mm^3/s for the BBL Silver PLA.

Basically the printer is moving faster than it can melt the plastic which would result in this type of defect. It is extruding half molten plastic.

1 Like

Different ingredients are used to make different colors, regardless of manufacturer, so each filament can require different settings. Best you can hope for is that the next spool of the same type and color from that manufacturer will print the same, but it’s not guaranteed.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check this out (currently printing something with a different colour), really appreciate the help.

My conclusion based on feedback here and also some other posts:

The Bambu Silver PLA is not ready for prime time. Bambu should immediately discontinue production and recall/refund the stuff that has been recently sold. Then they should take the time to reformulate or provide custom settings for this filament.

Since the AMS can read the RFID tag, there is no reason why Bambu could not automatically provide the proper settings. I’m not going to take my time to figure it out when there are other manufacturers that provide good silver PLA.

Buyers beware.

1 Like

Hello.
I opened this topic. I tried everything and got the best results after changing the hot end and drying the PLA. Still, it’s not perfect. I started using matte PLA.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation to set Max Volumetric Speed to 12mm3/s.

Just did a print and it is ‘perfect’ and similar to the other Bambu Basic PLA colours. From the other feedback, I’m guessing there is quite a difference in whatever is required to make the Silver.

1 Like

Good to hear!

I have found the max volumetric speed for BBL filaments to be a little too optimistic. Usually I decrease it to 12.

But this only matters on object with long movement paths since only than it will actually go to these high volumetric speeds (and fail).

Pigments can have a big influence on material behaviour it seems.

1 Like

Nice! My printer has been tied up with a multi-day print so I haven’t been able to get back to this issue and test the volumetric speed but it makes perfect sense. The issue presents itself most on long straight runs where the toolhead can build up speed.

Also easy for Bambu to swap the label and RFID to Silk PLA or something which prints at 12.

1 Like

This is mentioned on the store page, actually:

" For better print results, please reduce the Max volumetric speed from 21 mm³/s to 15 mm³/s when printing PLA Basic Silver/Gold/Bronze."

So I have been busy with holidays and projects but I wanted to give a quick summary.

Before I made this post I contacted Bambu support. When I got a standard response I became impatient and went here to the forums. A couple days later the community here figured out what was going on and how to solve the problem.

About the same time the support team got back to me to see if I still needed help so I directed them to this thread. Here was the response from Bambu:

As a follow up, the team noted that the profile for this specific filament needs a few minor changes. You can either use the silk filament profile or manually change the max volumetric flow to 15mm/s3 as shown below.

I’ve half a roll of PLA basic silver which I don’t remember giving me trouble but I will note this on the box as I probably won’t remember this thread by tomorrow :grinning:

Edit: Just remembered I’ve a spool of bronze which didn’t print as well as I would have thought. Noted this on the box for that spool also.

Immediately what I thought when I saw this post. I remember seeing this when I purchased my Gold PLA at the end of October.

Definitely poor form from BL, it should be updated in their system.

Funny… I just posted a thread with a printing problem… Pla silver

For me, reducing the max volumetric speed eliminated the worst of the stringing. However, I am still getting poor surfacing. Not my favorite filament. I have been using this roll up with a 0.2mm nozzle on models without long flat planes.

After a month of running lots of manual calibrations with many filaments I mostly get results from 0.016 - 0.019 (0.4mm nozzle). So I guess the K factor wasn’t strange after all.

I’ve also learned since then that manual calibration of K factor and flow ratio are pretty fine tweaks and probably not responsible for major printing problems unless they are WAY off.

In my limited experience, everything prints ok at K 0.02 but a good manual calibration can sometimes improve detail and surfacing. And sometimes quite a bit.

The silver prints great for me but I have similar issues with the gold color.

I’ve dried it but it was producing rough top layers and the infill wasn’t sticking down leaving almost a hairy look.

All I have to do is change the speed to silent and it prints perfectly. It just can’t seem to print at the same speed as all the other Bambu PLA. The first layer is pristine but then the second layer will have that sort of textured look. Almost like what the first layer looks like when the nozzle is too low. I’ve done all the flow calibrations, it just doesn’t want to stick to itself at higher speeds.

I wonder if just increasing the temperature would also fix it. Maybe I’ll try it.

Just noticed this message on the Bambu Store:

" For better print results, please reduce the Max volumetric speed from 21 mm³/s to 15 mm³/s when printing PLA Basic Silver/Gold/Bronze."

Seems like they should just make that part of the profile. That definitely fixes the issue for me with the Gold.

I tried 15 mm3/s after my last post above with my spool of silver which to be honest had never given me trouble. It didn’t work at all. Wouldn’t stick to the bed, really bad layer adhesion and just plain ugly. I also tried silent speed to no avail as well as drying it for 12 hours at 45°C. I went back to 21 mm3/s and it returned to working just fine.