LAN Only Mode

So now that I know the Bambu X1 Carbon has USB on board, why can’t Bambu come out with a USB–> Ethernet connection so we can use our hardwired networks and not have to rely on Wi-Fi or the cloud. I love my X1 but for $1500 you’d think they could have included ethernet networking!

5 Likes

Where did you see that the X1C has USB on board? There is a USB cable used on the print head, but I think they use a CAN bus connection and the cable is for that communication.

1 Like

It was posted that the camera is usb based.

1 Like

Okay. I missed that part.

These printers really are cutting edge and generally I am very pleased, but still fee that we need some kind of petition to get LAN ONLY mode have exactly the same local features as the WAN version and not crippled by marketing decisions.

They can still advertise it as being WAN enabled but also with full local control as well.

I have several failed prints where the print just disappears, as well as a few cases where I get an error message saying something like “only one print can be done at a time” where it looks like a file was sent to my printer not directly initiated by me.

I don’t know if this was a previously failed print that was cached when the site was down and then sent again later, but it is very distressing !

I just don’t need to start prints or otherwise control my printer when I am away from home, and if I do then I will just connect via VPN or setup some port forwarding, and this is of no interest at all to me in the consideration of whether or not to by the Bambu printers.

C’mon Bambu Labs, let us have 100% local functionality on LAN Mode - please ??

9 Likes

I am looking to buy a bambu but as others stated, use of cloud only is not an option. Sorry, its a great printer but not like this.

2 Likes

Everything works in LAN mode except the Camera - for now. I just made a petition on the forum to request this too. Every like helps!

3 Likes

From now all is working again for me.
Printer is connecting fine to internet Bambu Studio can see it.

And firmware updating.

1 Like

For those that use Handy: to protect your privacy you could use an older phone that has the SIM card removed. In that way your location data will be meaningless. Your BT mode will still be susceptible to Big Tech harvesting in a mess network but it is said those networks are harvesting current day, an old phone should be good.

1 Like

I just ordered my x1 carbon and having to connect to the cloud is a huge negative for me. I like self hosting things and don’t want to rely on a cloud service anything that’s connected on my network. I’m interested to know what are peoples opinions of having something similar to a Unifi self hosted controller option? This would allow for your printer to get firmware updates without having to connect to something that is reliant on the cloud.

2 Likes

This is becoming very tiresome, I sent this print 20 minutes ago and still waiting.

No camera feed, no print starting.

:angry:

1 Like

Bit naive. Every phone that can see (just see not connect to) your wifi will help google and others geolocate your IP address to within a few meters. The only way to try to achieve location privacy is to always use a VPN so what you do on the internet is less likely to associate you with that geolocated IP address.

First: if you are not satisfied with the cloud, then there is only LAN mode (the camera and the update do not work. I think they will fix it soon)
Second: buy an analogue printer (if you find :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

When people complain about lack of privacy and security they always get criticised by those who have already sacrificed their privacy and security - because it makes them feel better about what they have done.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I said that. Using an old phone that has been replaced by another means the data there is obsolete and not really my phone. It is similar to keeping a Gmail account to provide a false trail done on separate hardware. For me the real stuff done using a VPN with a provider that has a real face and puts in the effort to provide information to help personal privacy. And no I do not have a “google or apple” phone. I also do not run Wifi as a rule. Glad to see folks who are focused on privacy.

Before the last firmware update I was able to add the X1C as a Network folder in Win 11 and access the videos recorded, timelapses and logs without the need to go through Bambu Studio.

Now I can’t anymore - anyone else experiencing this ?

Edit: The solution was to get an FTP client and use the 990 port → found this on another post on the forum.

2 Likes

Not sure if Bambu is monitoring these threads. Probably best to post feature requests directly through their tech support link.

If worse comes to worst, there’s this:

2 Likes

I bought something similar to this, but it fit in a USB A slot. Hated it. Having to keep changing the mode is a pain. Don’t know if this one has it, but the one I had you were able to change the mode through a web page. But if you forgot to change it back before heading to the printer, back you go. It is a great idea, but it needs to be able to do both modes at the same time. Like the old Toshiba AirCard did.