LAN Only Mode

This could be a way to support the Bambu Lap printers by third party software, for example in OctoPrint. Maybe a plugin, that uses FTP and MQTT to transfer and communicate with the printer. :thinking:

yes, but only passive as MQTT is just a simple message transfer. And passive monitoring (without video) is already possible in LAN mode with BL Studio

I have been doing testing MQTT on my LAN bypassing security. Thanks for the info!

Using my MQTT test app is how I found out that the printer can respond almost instantly with status. The reason the Bambu Studio times out before every print is their closed source dll intentionally doesn’t stay connected. (They claim it is because of cost for the cloud, but I am using LAN only)

1 Like

I see the last response here was over a month ago… Just got my P1P yesterday and I’m struggling to bind the printer to my phone or mac. Get a DHCP error code after a loading wheel that spins forever in the app. It will display the pairing code on the phone and printer but then nothing happens.

I’m guessing switching the printer to LAN only is the only way to fix this? Can someone advise? Would love to be able to create & print things other than the pre-downloaded items on the printer lol

The first thing required is to add your printer to the Wifi network and to your BBL account. You cannot set it to LAN only until that is done.

You must use the Handy app by scanning the bar code on the printer. Handy will then use bluetooth to talk to the printer and get it connected to your WiFi.

Only after that is done can you use LAN only.

It sounds like you do not need the LAN only option. You are just at the very beginning where you need to use HANDY.

1 Like

Ya that’s the issue. The printer does not connect to my account therefore does not connect to my network via the app. I have tried setting up a guest network, using a hotspot, along with all of the other suggestions Bambu has provided. But pairing the printer to my phone fails every single time.

any idea what its being used for?

1 Like

can you please share how you did it

1 Like

I am using the X1C and have tried MQTT Explorer and MQTTX with 3.1.1 but am unable to connect

Deleting and re-installing the mobile app did the trick for me.

I’ve got my P1P a few days ago only, so this post is a first impression one…

• Yes the P1P is really good as a printer, and I don’t regret having bought it
  • The cloud-only aspect is bothering me:
  • as a general principle when it can be avoided
  • for efficiency reason, as the WAN/Cloud service can become painfully slow and has very little added value for basic file transfer to the printer or such
  • for sustainability as many other cloud-based services have become obsolete or the company is no longer in operation, leaving the user stranded in nowhere

I certainly will experiment with the alernate methods described in the forums to access more directly the P1P, but Bambulab should really use a LAN-based service for basic functions, and only offer acces to the cloud at the user request for updates, or to enable ‘Handy’ (a nice but really not mandatory application) or SMS print status notifications

IMO it is a very simple change of focus that would benefit everybody, Bambulab included, as the cloud traffic will ultimately decrease…

PS I’m not that concerned by the secrecy issue for Cloud services (I’m an user of Fusion 360) as it is personal work (from bathroom or small lathe improvements to nephew xmas gifts), but it is certainly not the case of professional users with strict IT security policies…

This is a very helpful post. I have 3 X1s: 1 at home that works perfectly as intended by Bambu with “normal” open WiFi and 2 at work that I must get to work without internet access.

I will not repeat what has already been said, but agree of course that many users need full functionality without an open internet connection.

I would be very appreciative if someone could summarize the approach to use LAN only mode or any other method to get around the “normal” way. I would be fine with Octoprint or any other windows workaround as long as it can be hopefully be made “student proof”, i.e.I set it up and then it works. I can also help experiment if that helps.

Thanks to the author for the good tips so far. I am going to start working on this in earnest next week. For now my work printers are microSD only which is obviously not ideal. Yes, I care about security to but I am am way guy to track down.

4 Likes

You need to do a search and read a bit more. There is no “cloud only aspect” to the P1P.
It works using the internet/cloud.
It works in LAN only mode.
It works by SD card.

Couldn’t agree more!

Hi, I have an X1C and would love to use it in LAN mode but be able to use the camera to monitor it from my home network. I have downloaded the latest Home Assistant and VM Fusion for use on my Mac but have no ideal how to get it all working together. The only apparent video on the subject on YouTube is in German !!!
Can you help or point me towards a source that would enable use of homeassistant etc or some other way to monitor the printer / camera using LAN?? Cheers

This is good example of Bambu not listening. If another printer came out that was similar and had ability to add to my network without opening a hole and all functions would work, I would buy in a second. Really like the X1c but user interface is atate of the art 20 years ago.

1 Like

Currently LAN mode only allows print monitoring through Studio or OrcaSlicer - not the Handy phone app. Bambu has indicated that smartphone monitoring via LAN will be enabled in the future.

Just here to say this: I had the X1 + AMS combo in my cart and am probably gonna back out on the purchase after finding out that most of the “interesting” features require a cloud connection. My concern isn’t really security. I’ve had too many devices that are essentially bricks once the cloud service that powers them goes down. iPads that you can no longer reset because they’re too old, Nooks with the same issue, etc.

What if Bambu goes out of business or sells out? What if they decide to start charging for cloud access? What if I want to use advanced functionality and the cloud service goes down? These aren’t things I’m comfortable dealing with for a device of this price.

2 Likes

What “interesting features” are you referring to? The printer will run completely stand alone from the cloud service. It doesn’t need an internet connection to print. This post gives a pretty good breakdown of what the print can and can’t do if the cloud service was to “go away”.

5 Likes

Per the best information I can find (there does seem to be a fair bit of conflicting info out there) these features aren’t available in “LAN” mode:

• Spaghetti detection
  • It looks like the AMS only works for multicolor if you use Bambu Studio (which kinda makes sense) and the faqs suggest that Bambu Studio won’t work offline. It does look like “backup” spools can be configured offline.
  • Print monitoring and notifications – I do see that Live View is available now, which is nice. I currently use Octoprint for this and am very pleased.
  • Remote ancillary control over lights, bed preheating, motion control…

The above are in roughly descending order of importance to me. If Bambu moved spaghetti detection on-board (as Octoprint does), made Octoprint usable in LAN mode, and made is possible to use Bambu Studio usable without a cloud connection, I’d be on-board. Maybe this is all possible now and I’m missing something, but this is what the docs indicate to me currently.

Sources:

1 Like