Manually add printer by IP/domain name

Could we add the possibility of manually adding the printer to Bambu Studio using its IP or domain name (e.g., we give it a DNS record)?

My printer lives on my IoT VLAN and it can’t (on purpose) be seen by my computers (since they live on a different VLAN) as I do not allow mDNS across VLANs, but I can see the printer from my secure VLAN (i.e., Secure VLAN can see into IoT VLAN, but not the other way).

This would also make RTSP For video Stream to OBS and Direct Lan Connection issue much easier to handle.

7 Likes

This one is an excellent point from a security point-of-view and should absolutely be addressed. Living in Europe we consider security/privacy a high value, and thus love to separate some things from others. I can see no reason a printer should talk to host computers (unless the computer opens the connection) so it should absolutely be able for it to reside in another network (should it be implemented by physical means or logically such as VLAN).

1 Like

I need this. I hate having it live on my default vlan just so I can get to it. DNS record would work across vlans.

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue; all IoT devices live on a separate VLAN with it’s own WiFi SSID. My development machine sits on my main network and currently can only communicate with my printer via the cloud. Surely now with the advent of the X1E this must change. I plan to purchase two of these printers for my two engineering sites and corporate IT will insist they go on a lab subnet, not the main network on which the engineers laptops sit. And we won’t be able to use the cloud, obviously, so this really is a must have.

4 Likes

Same here. Still hope we get heard some day :wink:
@BambuLab bump

1 Like

Us to - making our X1E unusable at work…

Multi-cast is a no-no internally on our networks and no one trusts 3rd party cloud for login/authentication anymore…

I am shocked to find out, you can’t just add a Printer by hand.
Network Separation is basic Network-Security. Mandatory for any Business, and highly advised for Home Networks.

you can add the printer locally, if it (and Bambu Studio) are connected to Cloud. You can just send the print files to the printer via network. But it is gone once the account is disconnected.

It is only for Bambu not Including a “add printer manually” button and expect users to just have all their devices in one network.

so - thats my bump

2 Likes

I would like to be able to do this for a different reason… to replace the A1 camera completely…It never works anyways, and when it does, it’s trash… It would be nice to either eliminate the the black box in Bambu Studio and Bambu Handy, or to replace it with the feed from my Tapo camera that actually works.

Hi,

Any news on this being worked on, it would be great to have this?

Its unfortunate this is not implemented yet, as I would prefer adding the printer by IP address.

I know school technicians who will look into implementing 3D printers, and this is one of things that will get looked into, due to network segmentation (subnets).

Thanks.

2 Likes

just adding in that we need this functionality as well. seems like pretty low hanging fruit and sad its not added by now.

1 Like

I also second this. We bought an X1E under the impression that we could use it in the company network, but in our (not uncommon VLAN setup) it’s not possible because we can’t enter the printer address in the studio software. Cloud usage is obviously out of the question.

+1. BambuLab X1E is unusable even when no advanced VLANs are involved and printer is just plugged in into default (public) network.

After some investigation, I found that this gem of 3D printing is also stateless: if you let it detect a printer one time and then remove the detection capability, it disappears after Bambu Studio is restarted.

Should had never bought it in the first place