P1S AMS Auto Refill - Firmware Supported

Does the P1S with AMS support Auto Refill? My X1C does, and I know how to use the feature there, but my P1S does not even show the option, even when the filament profiles are identical. And yes, I did select “AMS filament backup” in the AMS settings.

Any ideas what is going on?

It should show “Auto Refill” next to the “Tips” on the right top of the screen shot.

1 Like

I only have P1S’s and have never seen “Auto Refill”. That being said, my AMS does fail over to the backup when my spool runs out.

I think it is automatic when two spools are identical in every way. You don’t get to choose the order.

Thanks! I’ll try cutting the filament and see what happens.

For reference, here is what the X1C screens look like

On the Bambu Handy app go to settings, choose AMS settings check mark auto switch filament

1 Like

Same issue for me, my X1C shows the refill order, my P1S does not.

Yeah my X1C will do it but my P1P also doesnt have that option. I get we can turn the option on in the AMS system but the printer itself does not have the wheel are show that it will auto-refill like the X1C. I would love to know officially if the P1P just isnt given the option. I am looking at getting a P1S as my 3rd printer but the feature of not being able to auto-refill is making me hold off.

I just purchased my first bambulab printer. A P1S.
I was not aware that auto switch filament was not an option with P1S AMS.
I thought it’s an automatic procedure.
Bambulab official explanation for the difference between P1S and X1C was P1S has worse camera, lacking fancy screen, less powerful processor, lacking hardened steel extruder gears and hotend and aluminum side panels.
They should release a software update to enable AMS filament auto switching through bambu studio and bambu handy apps if the feature is missing.

So I tested this and let a spool completely run out in the P1S. It doesn’t show the auto refill option and didn’t roll over to another spool like others said. There must be some confusion or differences in firmware people are getting pushed out to them.

In my case, after it gave the out of filament error, I placed a new spool into the AMS in the same location, and selected “retry”. It loaded the new spool without issue, purged and wiped, as though it was going to work. But when it went back to the print area nothing came out, like it wasn’t sending extrusion commands during the print anymore. I tried load/unload after that, purge and wipe worked fine, manual extrusion worked fine, but when you press “play” it just wouldn’t print. I tried Handy, Studio, and the P1S panel and nothing could save the print.

For what it’s worth, I also have an X1C and never had a problem with any of these methods to get a print going after runout. It feels like a bug, but it could very well be intentional limitation to separate the X1C’s capabilities. Or, possibly a limitation of the much weaker hardware used in the P1 series.

The “AMS auto switch filament” needs to be checked in Settings(top right horizontal 3 bars in Handy)/AMS Settings. The default is unchecked.

4 Likes

John Raymond thanks for clearing this up. I’ve seen it in handy app when I first set up the system several days ago but then I forgot all about it. It’s in handy app settings just like you’ve mentioned. I’ve took an SS but forum doesn’t allow me to put it in this message.

P1S:
i checked the box for filament switch in the Handyapp und have installed “generic PLA” in Slot2 and Slot3 (same color). But the AMS did NOT switch from Slot2 to Slot3, whem filament ran out in Slot2.

BambuStudio says, that there are no identical filaments in AMS, whem i click on “auto refill” option … strange… :face_with_monocle:

I’ve personally only used Bambu filaments for the auto Refill function. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

Does anyone have any further info on this please?
I’ve got an AMS on order with one of the primary reasons for purchase being auto refill.
Over a month it would have paid for itself in terms of filament utilisation.

If it’s not supported on the P1S I won’t open it and send it back.
On the P1 accessories page, the AMS product information does clearly state the auto refill feature so I’m suprised this is an issue?

I only plan to use Bambu Labs filament in the AMS if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the P1S with AMS and can confirm either way if it works.

Hey Sfallon228

The short answer is YES, it is supported and works as expected without any interaction required by the user.

However a few things need to be true.

You must ensure that in the Handy app, this is checked.

You must also set up two spool slots in the AMS to be identical in every way. It does not matter that in reality they are two different colors, you must tell the AMS that they are the exact same. Even the K value should be the same (I believe). Like this…

I set the print to start from AMS slot 3 as shown here.

When slot 3 runs out (it takes a long time to completely run out as the final sensor is in the print head) it will look like this.

Without any interaction, it will swap to AMS slot 4 and look like this.

The end result is a two tone boat!

Happy printing and enjoy your AMS!

6 Likes

I had a quite long print run out of filament roughly 2 minutes before completion, I assumed I could just choose another spool via the app or the desktop version but no… It eventually decided to throw up a pop up as I was trying to figure out how to get the AMS to load another filament which resulted in my cancelling the print. During my efforts it would only let me load filament from the holder on the back.

I have AMS enabled, auto refill enabled, no spool on the holder and all spools in the AMS are PLA (not the same color so i understand the auto refill wouldn’t work). It should really be possible to manually just click a spool in the AMS settings and then load and continue print without hassle this was not the case for me both load and unload buttons were greyed out. Clicking retry only brings up a very confusing pop up referencing menu items that don’t exist (wording is off not hard to figure out what they meant).

I understand that there are bugs and that there is always work to be done. So don’t take this the wrong way. Overall the printer has been great. Do struggle with overhangs and layers being inconsistently thick though this is likely due to layer times, speeds and flow.

If anyone could explain how to load filament from AMS manually that would be much appreciated.

Worked 3 Times for me.

This was really helpful, thank you. The AMS is up and running with the P1S I have here.

Thanks again!

I confirm auto filament switch feature works for P1S. It switched from ESUN PLA+ white slot to another ESUN PLA+ white slot once the filament finished in first slot successfully in my last print session.

1 Like

Hi,
I can confirm also that the combo P1S+AMS do the refill, but in my case it leaves a gap in the print when change of the spool occurs.
Any idea why?
Thank you.