Power button should turn machine off and on

Actual Behavior

1. Press the power button to try to turn machine off.
  2. Hold the power button for 30 seconds to try to turn machine off.
  3. Poke around the LCD screen to try to turn the machine off.
  4. Give up and turn it off via the rear switch.

Expected Behavior:

1. Pressing the power button once should prompt the user with a dialog that can shut down or put the machine to sleep OR put the machine to sleep as it currently does.
  2. Holding the power button for more than two seconds should prompt the user with a dialog that can shut down the machine or put the machine to sleep.
  3. There should be a button to power the machine on/off from bambu studio.
  4. Holding the power button down for six or more seconds should immediately shut down the machine.
13 Likes

Hi, the buttons on top of the machine are not designed to turn off the machine. One is meant to be used to cancel the current print. The other only turns the screen module off. There is no hardware present to turn the whole machine off except the power switch on the back.

This is not a bug and is working as described in the manual.

Although i do agree that the power switch is rather inaccessible. The machine is meant to run 24/7.

1 Like

Yup, that’s the intended behavior.

For what reason do you want to turn the machine fully off? I can’t imagine that use-case. Just curious.

2 Likes

Not to be that guy… but… bug definition from wikipedia:

A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in the design, development, or operation of computer software

I consider design flaws to be bugs, but since the definition of a bug is flexible I also listed it as a feature request. In this case the bug is that a giant button with a power icon does not power off the device. If it had a sleep icon I might say it’s simply missing a feature. It’s interesting you say that the physical hardware for the switch to turn off the machine is not present. Perhaps it can be added in future revisions of the machine. While it may not be a critical or important bug, the more small usability bugs that are fixed the better experience new users will have, and the more they will in turn spread the word about how easy it is to use, ultimately making the product more successful.

Use cases of turning the machine off fully can include saving 30W when not in use, increased protection against surges when not in use, increased lifetime of a power supply through less capacitor wear, fewer LEDs illuminated at night in home spaces, or restarting to troubleshoot.

8 Likes

You seriously can’t imagine someone wanting to prep the machine put it in sleep mode. Run off and do other work needed for the print and 10 hours later starting the printer once the design is ready. Go 200 feet from one part of your workshop to the other pick up the prince profit and then turn it off because who knows when you’ll need it again but you can remotely turn it back on in 1 to 20 days. Why on earth do you think, someone should mass-produce something and have to use it 24 seven? Might as well go back to building the printer yourself. And I can just cut everything out of aluminum and remotely shut the machine down! Absolutely insane that all mine CNC machines can be remotely powered off or at least power it off from the front of the machine. But this fancy box doesn’t even have a switch on the front. Well, I could care less because I’ve already ripped the switch off the back and put it on the front. Still insanely stupid to be designed this way.

2 Likes

My CR10S switch in the back. Sold prusa switch in the back. Multiple 2d printers of different makes switch the back. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Mine is on a desk behind me in my office, the fan is bloody annoying, it should be off when the machine is off/not in use.

1 Like

I have to say, I really agree with the OP in this case, I get that the current behaviour is as intended / designed, but why is turning off the screen so important that it merits this great big “power” button? The screen seems to turn off on it’s own when left a while anyway, which is sensible, turning it off on demand is OK, but being able to turn the machine off (or to a very minimum power mode) certainly seems MORE useful… also, with that choice of “power” icon, I’m pretty sure if you look 100 people who have never seen a 3D printer before, showed them the Bambu Lab printer, and asked them what they thought that button did, almost every one would surly take one look at the icon and say they thought it would switch it off…

2 Likes

And turning on the screen only requires a tap, no button needed.

While we are complaining about poorly implemented buttons…

The other top button is marked with the symbol that is the standard for an EMERGENCY STOP. As such, it should immediately cancel or at least pause all current operations. Instead, it asks for verification, which has to be provided on the screen, or app, or in Studio. If I’m dealing with an emergency, my attention should be on the problem, not searching elsewhere so I can repeat my command.

2 Likes

I think the main use case for turning it off is if you aren’t going to use it for a while. It consumes a little power, but more importantly transistors don’t have infinite lifetime, they do wear out (slowly) through TDDB and other mechanisms. People tend to think of transistor life as unimportant simply because electronic devices often become obsolete before they wear out. But they do wear out.

Power button should definitely be more accessible. My machine is in a tight spot and I hate having to try to reach around it every day to turn it off and on. And I’m not leaving it on when not in use. Definitely a design flaw

1 Like

You could plug the printer into any assortment of power bar/inline switches which would allow the machine to be power on and off easier. You could even get fancy and use a Wifi plug so you can turn it on and off remotely.

6 Likes

I use a WiFi remote Plug-Switch for that.

1 Like

Do you stay your car’s engine on when you don’t use your car ?

1 Like

Or, more importantly, do you fiddle with you cars electrics while its still running?

New user here. Followed the precise steps described in “actual behavior” by the OP today, after first test print. Absolutely astonishing that a year later this weird problem remains unchanged.

1 Like

This thread only confirms that you can’t make everyone happy, ever, with anything. I’m puzzled by your view of how it should behave - but that’s of course just my humble opinion. I’m perfectly fine with the way it works now, except for the wish that any further power savings that can be made is also implemented. Such as turning toolhead LED and chamber light off when going to standby (as well as stepper power but that already happens AFAIK). I would absolutely not want it to turn wifi off (even from me pushing that button) because then I wouldn’t be able to wake it up remotely.

I do have a HA power switch in place though, so I can power on/off remotely no matter what. It’s not used often but I see it as an independent safety measure.

As for the “emergency stop” button I do agree it should pause whatever it’s doing as quickly as possible without further confirmation (yet in a resumable state if possible). That’s important not only for when bed or toolhead tries to go past physical limits but also for person safety.

Kind of agree with the initial post. Hit the ‘power’ button expecting a ‘soft shutdown’ via the screen. Was surprised all it seemed to do was turn off the led light. Had to go Google to find I was not missing anything here or in the App. this device is more of a computer then a toaster so I feel it should have a safe shutdown, even a way to power off once a print is complete. I get people might want it on all the time - but also once a print is done you can’t do anything without interacting physically with the printer to ready a new print - might as well save power.

Any news on this? This is just crazy.

The person above who is saying they can’t imagine why you would ever want to turn the machine off… Dude has not heard of climate change or normal behaviours.

I have the feeling that button was indeed intended for shutting down or some sleep mode, but they couldn’t make it work because of some technical constrain. So they decided to have that big switch for the display. This is non-sense.

Bambu Labs, you need to find a way to make that button an actual switch to at least out the machine to sleep mode.

You shouldn’t buy or use a 3d printer if you’re so worried about climate change in the first place…