Tape at the end of spool

I haven’t tried this myself as I haven’t encountered this problem but would the following procedure help you guys?

1. Take an empty spool and remove one side.
  2. Take your new spool and remove one side carefully so as not to let the filament unspool.
  3. Align the two spools and slide the filament onto the empty spool. If the filament is taped, the end should get “left behind” exposing the tape. I could design a cylinder that fits inside the spool hubs to align them perfectly and hold them in position.
  4. Remove the tape or cut off the taped portion.
  5. Put the side of the spool back on or slide the filament back into its original spool.

I know this adds a complicated step to your workflow but it’s better than a multi hour or even multi day print failing.

Please don’t try this, it’ll end in tears as soon as the centre pulls the whole lot will fall apart. The only reliable method is to respool to a proper blank with either a bent end or using a core like this https://makerworld.com/models/559195

2 Likes

I would just re-spool those affected. It’s just annoying, and this is what I use to transfer.

Core
Spooler

Based on user feedback and the tickets received by our Customer Support team, we have conducted an internal analysis to determine the filament tape issue reported by our customers. We would like to explain the situation better and inform our customers about why we chose to use tape for the filament end, and how this helps improve the user experience. We also want to share more information about a faulty batch which is causing some trouble.

In the past, we identified a problem that might occur where the end of the filament could clog the AMS feeder or the extruder. When the filament spool was depleted, the small section of the filament was not straight, leading to issues during the feeding process. If the filament has absorbed moisture, the small piece of filament could break inside the AMS feeder or extruder, leading to a clog or to feeding issues.

To solve this problem, Bambu Lab Filament has implemented tape to hold the beginning strand of filament attached to the spool. This design ensures that the end of the filament is straight and minimizes the chances of a clog.

The design was tested multiple times to ensure the filament is able to escape from the tape and cardboard roll when the spool is depleted.

Recently, we have discovered an issue where the tape was incorrectly applied on a very small batch of filament during production. The tape covering the end of the filament strand was incorrectly applied.

In rare cases, the tape could disconnect from the cardboard spool and be pulled by the filament as shown in the image below:

We also suspect that the tape could become loose and remain attached to the filament strand, not working as expected, when the filament was used directly from the drier. The hotter air could assist in disconnecting the tape from the cardboard roll but also keeping it attached to the filament end.

In order to solve this problem, the jig used for the filament tape application was updated to ensure a better application. With the new application method of the new black tape, the filament end is secured and will allow the filament to safely detach once it is depleted, while the tape remains attached to the cardboard roll.

We apologize for this issue, and we recommend customers that encounter issues with the filament to contact our customer support team using the General Inquiry request for assistance, by providing the Serial Number of the filament spool and pictures of the issue that has occurred.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

6 Likes

Might be a manufacturing challenge on the cardboard core, is it possible to implement angled slot instead of straight 90 degree slot?

Maybe the tape should wrap around from outer to inner core to prevent the tape rip away from the cardboard paper.

1 Like

Maybe a new solution.

2 Likes

Sounds like lesser quality tape is needed, something that “dries out”, losing adhesion soon after application.

4 Likes

Effectively painters tape or similar, not the (appropriate for the situation) “bandage” solution they use currently.

@SupportAssistant

1. Printer mid-way finished one spool and the PETG-HF has taped spool. Going by your statement, it should not pull the tape in.
  2. I heard a loud “clack” noise and I went to check on the printer.
  3. This is what I saw, the tape got ripped off the spool core and I opened the AMS to see where the tape went. Nowhere to be seen, must have gotten inside the AMS!
  4. I double-check the end of the filament revealing itself, lucky the tape is not there, but it must be inside the AMS tube.
  5. Right now as of writing this; I cannot open the AMS to see until the print it finished, it doesn’t seem to be stuck at the output section of the AMS, it is probably still in the first stage feeder.
  6. I will update this thread again after the print is done and will investigate.

Here is the video link for the full context.

1 Like

ok saved, lucky first stage, but somehow it got through my AMS saver mod. I guess this spool over taped?

You were fortunate, one of my tape mishaps went into the AMS Hub on the back of the printer. Eventually gave up and bought another hub after constant filament getting stuck I assume from all the tape residue left in the hub. Whomever decided tape was the solution for bent filament problems should be fired immediately!

I have the same problem as all the others in this thread, the tape at the end of the filament causes the AMS to not Auto Refill, which is a pain, especially when doing long prints overnight.

This feels like a recent change, all the filament spools I bought at the start of the year (PLA Matte Black) was without tape, and every refill I buy now has tape!

I just got a shipment of PETG -HF and have had the same issues with other filament from Bambu recently.

It’s a shame this is still happening as otherwise I’ve been loving my ams and p1s

Tried to reach out to customer support via e mail but I did not recieve any answer so here it is.
I recently bought 4 refill spools of PLA matte and it looks like Bambu changed supplier.
Problem is that the new refill spools are taped on the spool leading to failure when filament runs out. Either stop due to overheated AMS motor or stop due to problem rewinding the filament.
Also the inside paper spool are oftes torn/damaged so it is hard to put on the spool sides when replacing filament.
On two spools the filament got stuck or squezed to the spool side and print was paused. (filament not evenly winded on spool)
I never experienced any of these problems before. Exclusively buying filament from Bambu since I started to print. Please Bambu, fix this quality issue so that AMS could use Auto spool change without trouble again.

1 Like

Other than what you mentioned, any printing issues with the filament? I’ve got several refill rolls, haven’t opened.

Besides babysitting the printer? nope, it prints just fine. :+1:

1 Like

Maybe it’s time to rethink this…
Is their filament worth the hassle?
As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, this tape problem can’t be doing the AMS any good…

Can someone update me on what experience they have had from support? A selling feature of the AMS is supposed to be “No More Filament Leftover”. I suppose technically it does still have this feature, just not with Bambu filament. But the filament doesn’t have any kind of warning label on it, “no longer AMS compatible”.

1 Like

No label telling you they screwed up. They wouldn’t even share with me with batches are affected. I gave up with support and if I think that the spool will run out while I am not around, I respool it to make sure it doesnt have the “bad” tape. It is a pain but I already had bought it so no going back now.

2 Likes

I just finished my 3rd straight refill spool of PETG-CF that was taped at the end, strong enough that the printer thought the nozzle was clogged and it couldn’t start using the next spool. Very frustrating. :frowning:

1 Like