Tape at the end of spool

Well it finally happened to me. Roll of black matte. Luckily I was there when the spool ended and could cut the end.

Can’t remember when that spool was purchased but I don’t feel like it was that long ago. Refill.

1 Like

Disappointing to know, but I suspect they’re digging their heels in even though they know its wrong to save face. It’s embarrassing for them. I know they need to have a firm-ish hold on the core so the last dregs can be retracted in the current firmware state but if they are staying the company line they should change it so that end of spool stop gets retracted so as not to damage feeders dragging tape (or tape glue) through the guts.

2 Likes

And there’s the problem with inventory. There’s probably a lot of spools out there just waiting to gum up someone’s AMS - possibly multiple times if they have a number of spools with the issue.

The near impossibility or the extreme expense of properly cleaning this kind of thing up is why whoever let it happen in the first place needs to be held accountable. Demoted to tech support for gummed up AMS units ought to do. The AMS versatility and convenience is what Bambu hangs their hat on and then they do this stuff.

I’ve been watching for tape as I run through spools and so far haven’t found any.

4 Likes

Demoted to “cotton tip duty” cleaning the gunk out of the Feeders if they had a recall.

2 Likes

By totally accident I have found this thread in DuckDuckGo and seriously Bambu - why the statement in post / page 84 was not sent via email to everybody ?!

It’s very important to communicate such things especially as people are using Filament Dryers or Ovens to get the moisture out also from your rolls… which sometimes are shipped in this condition…
And it’s not peoples fault but yours.

2 Likes

It looks like BL’s intent was that the tape would release the filament end, allowing the runout and auto refill process to work. However their testing protocol probably didn’t allow for the variety of environmental conditions or time sitting on a shelf before use that could lead to the tape not releasing the filament end or prematurely releasing from the spool. I’ve never had an issue with the little kink in the end of the untaped filament so maybe that’s the better risk to take over the tape.

Someone asked about VOXELPLA brand filament. I absolutely love it! It’s now become my standard go-to for PLA+ and PETG when they have the colors. Their color selection is a bit limited but they have started adding new colors, 4 this month and will be adding new colors every couple of months now. On my X1C it prints indistinguishable from Bambu and eSUN which was my go-to for 6 years. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s eSUN as they have some of the same color names (e.g. Cool White, Fire Engine Red, both of which were favorite eSUN colors of mine). High quality, high speed including their PETG, plastic spools, and $17 a roll. Can’t beat it IMO.

2 Likes

Do you mean Voxelab PLA - Not Voxelpla?

No, the company name is Voxel, their URL is voxelpla.com and they’re commonly referred to as VoxelPLA. They are a different company than Voxelab.

They dont recommend using CF filament in the AMS, it has more of a chance of snapping, have you had any issues? the half spool that came with the printer snapped inside mine on the first print with CF.

I prefer the Polymaker, it is exactly the same as BL filament

New to 3d printing, I’m a couple of months into my journey.

I’ve come across this tape at least 3 times now and have had prints destroyed because of it. I thought it was something I was doing wrong and I didn’t realize this was a major engineering disaster in the making.

I’ve already spent a significant amount on Bambu filament because they lock you into their proprietary system to get better results with the AMS.

Considering I’ve run into this multiple times in recent history AND I’m new to printing, I would consider this a systemic problem with their manufacturing processes and their inability to resolve any of these issues (and the defensive stance Bambu has taken) are indicative of poor leadership that need to be addressed internally as well as with the community. I think this is a wonderful printer and ecosystem, but I have concerns that these failures will bleed into the engineering side of Bambu.

Sure, I’ll fill out a ticket when I have the issue - that’s putting Bambu’s failures into my lap to address - just what customers love

*edit for clarity

1 Like

The Bambu RFID system is really handy and convenient if Bambu honors it themselves (whole other topic) but gets cumbersome to work around if a user wants or needs to.

If you save your RFID tags and mark them with the kind of filament and color, you can just tape the active bits to other spools. There’s also RFID tag holders on MakerWorld that pop into other manufacturers spools. Either way, as long as the Bambu settings work ok with other filaments, you can use RFID with them.

The tape thing is hopefully a little better now. I haven’t hit any taped spools yet but any inventory could have it. Hopefully the uproar over tape jams and problem filament substitutions have convinced Bambu to not repeat those mistakes. Filament and the AMS should be a 3rd rail of cutting corners.

Bambu is about to have almost identical AMS-like competition from Creality. They won’t be able to do this stuff and not have to worry about market share soon.

3 Likes

Polymaker is definitely my preference for specialty filaments like ASA and PC, I have a lot of it. For PLA and PETG I’m preferring VOXEL right now based on performance and price.

It’s really not a lock-in though. The RFID feature is small convenience only. Once you have your profiles setup for your non-Bambu filament you just select your filament on the display (or in Studio) when you load it. Takes like 5 seconds. As far as the filament remaining estimate, it’s largely inaccurate in my experience and shouldn’t be relied on to tell you how much filament is remaining – you will get a good feel for that after you’ve used a few spools. If I have any doubt before starting a print and not having another of the same filament to auto-refill from, then I’ll weigh it and compare (after subtracting empty spool weight) to what the slicer says it will use, and only start the print if there’s a healthy margin.

I have a dozen or so rolls of Bambu filament, but around 70 rolls of non-Bambu filament. I probably won’t be buying much Bambu filament unless it’s just a killer sale or something. The RFID feature in no way makes me want to go all-in with Bambu filament.

I occaisionally buy a roll or two of Ziro filament from Amazon as you get some free nozzle cleaning filament, its the real stuff also, not just nylon.
It is amazing how much gunk it removes,I can run some whit filament trough and it comes out clean but then run some cleaning filament through and there is loads of burnt gunk comes out with it, this would have one day come out on a part and probably ruined it.
You also get a sealable Mylar coated sealable bag with it and a sample of their more exotic filament.
The filament is excellent quality and prints perfectly and the windings are better than Prusament IMO.

I have one roll of Ziro PLA in pastel gradient matte. It makes some beautiful decorative prints and seems to be high quality. As a brand I believe it’s been around quite awhile. It didn’t come with cleaning filament though.

I am getting really tired of the tape. Its making my AMS useless. I am not going to be buying any more filament from Bambu.

Hi, Babsher welcome to the forum, I don’t buy Bambu filament any more, I buy Polymaker, especially the Polyterra, it is the same as the Bambu filament except its cheaper, at least it was before the multi-buy option, however, I have seen Polymaker for sale on eBay at very reasonable prices.

Didn’t Bambu put out a statement that future filaments will have tape on them… or did I just dream that?..

Nope. You didn’t dream it. But what Bambu said was they were going to use tape in a specific way that lets go of the filament easier and stays stuck to the hub.

No idea how well it will work but it seems like they are/have addressed it.