Textured Build plate experience

The textured PEI plate is good for easy prints as long as you can keep it clean. I’ve found that increasing the bed temperature 5-10C higher than default helps with adhesion, too.

For my important prints I still use the cold plate or engineering plate with glue stick. The finish is nicer, calibration more predictable, and it’s really not much effort to set it up.

It’s good to have both. If I could only have one plate, I’d prefer the dual-sided cold/engineering plate with glue stick

I have two of the textured PEI build plates. That way, as soon as a print finishes, I can remove the plate to let it cool on a table and then slam in the second plate to begin printing again without waiting.

IPA is only a solvent to grease, so if you only apply IPA and just let it dry, the grease is after disolving of IPA again there…
You must apply IPA and wipe with a clean cloth. This soakes up the solvent to the cloth. Use this procedure twice and you have a clean degreased plate…

1 Like

So far my heated textured plate works fine on PLA, PETG and TPU. I always run the bed at 5 degree higher first layer than the rest of the layers. The only thing that screwed up the first layer was the upgrade of the printer firmware - required a new calibration to stop the damn blobbing.

1 Like

What kind of “blobbing” do you mean?

See the images of white filament at Is there a way to rollback the P1P firmware update? - #2 by Aurelian

@ovendoor I’m not seeing that on the X1C. To me that sounds like a P1P problem, not a textured plate problem per se. Of course, there is a separate issue that plate alignment on the X1C isn’t easy to get right, and I don’t know what effect a misalignment might have. Nothing good, I’m sure.

If you look at the default gcode in Bambu Studio you’ll see that this code already exists. It’s been there since 1.4.

So I don’t think adding it again will do anything.

1 Like

I don’t think this will do anything. Look at the existing gcode in Bambu Studio, this is already there and has been since 1.4.

I just received the double-sided textured plate and gave it a test with PETG, using a rather small print (“CaliCat”). Overall the print was fine - no blobbing or stringing, but it did lift from the bed in the front. Didn’t come loose, though. The prime and calibration lines pulled off without effort.

1 Like

Mine came today, and some slight lifting of parts in centre, that’s repeating. Just cleaned with alcohol and wiped twice with clean cloth, so hoping the model stays put now. Prime and calibration lines easily detached like yours, much better than Engineering plate and glue (Dimafix spray). I quite like the surface texture, maybe combined with fuzzy skin :wink:

FWIW, I’ve had no bed detachment issues myself. Maybe it depends on the nature of the print or something. If you had a photo of what detached, and could post it here, it might inform the discussion as to what is going wrong.

1 Like

I never used Glue yet… double check the bed temp is right, also calibrate machine and do a cali in the filament and selected the best one… mine seem to always be0.0020 or 0.0025 if the nozzle is to far it can cause a issue,without lidar you need to cal the nozzle manually, very easy, i printed 100 prints in 6 weeks on the P1P without a failure yet…and no glue… my only issue is to many machines and to many types of plate and filament types… a few operator errors… WHOOPS did i do that again.

i have used the texture plate on the P1P and the X1C carbon with no issues, i do turn of the flow calibration, so far so good, for me it the one plate i have the least issues with…I refuse to use glue or hair spray…

most failure to stick is either bed temp needs to be higher, fan speed at start to high or nozzle to far away…

1 Like

My Bambu textured plate is trash too. The only “PEI” textured plate I need glue stick on, and I need it for every print or they fall off. It has to be fake PEI or something.

1 Like

You keeping arguing like that. Proof it or leave it. There are many, many users with good experience with the textured plate.

Why in the world would I need to prove anything? There are also many users with a bad experience with the textured plate, as evidenced by the title of this thread. Like I said before… you’re really somethin else.

1 Like

I bet that in all of the cases the “problem” is the user. Simply because it does work here. X1C, textured plate, PLA, PETG, TPU etc i.e. no difference in hardware. Latest Studio with the gcode insertion, which procvides better squish - select correct plate in slicer, etc. - I have seen many people using Acetone to clean the bed (bad thing), I heard of people not taking off the plastic cover (if there was one), bad thing, I read people not properly cleaning and getting rid of finger prints, fatty stuff on the plate, bad thing. There are a lot of things to do.

;===== for Textured PEI Plate , lower the nozzle as the nozzle was touching topmost of the texture when homing ==
;curr_bed_type={curr_bed_type}
{if curr_bed_type==“Textured PEI Plate”}
G29.1 Z-0.04 ; for Textured PEI Plate
{endif}

And that response is exactly what I expected from you, user error, couldn’t possibly be a defective product from your beloved company. I know what I’m doing, and my problem was fixed by nothing other than using aftermarket plates. I’m not trying to prove anything to a person like you, I’m just letting the OP know he isn’t alone. If I say anything else Ciprian will say I’m a naughty boy.

It is for sure not my beloved company. But I hate these general statements like “It has to be fake PEI or something.” and stuff like that. If you have a problem with that plate, open a ticket and otherwise, let other people try to help clear the situation, but not with those assumptions of yours and no help at all. And what I have written is MY knowledge of stuff that occured when users where wondering about the plate and it did show that things could be rectified.