Yes, I am aware. But it seems this time instead of an SD card, it’ll be sent to the USB drive. I’m not suggesting you walk the USB drive over with the gcode on it, I’m saying that the USB is the new SD card on this printer. You plug it in and forget about it and use LAN mode like you would normally until it gets full and probably alerts you on the screen.
The only time you’d need to remove it is if you need logs or need to free up space
Oh I think I see what you’re saying, yes you’re probably correct. It guess it works the same way as the existing things, but a USB stick replaces the SD card. This is what happens when I skip the post-work nap.
I get you lol, honestly I would prefer an SD card so it sits flush with the printer. I don’t want a big 2 inch USB stick sticking out the back of the printer, it’s liable to get damaged if I accidentally bump the table and it hits the wall
OK. So maybe it is listed in one of the leaked specs that I missed. Let me expand upon some items related to a USB “port” to make sure I understand what we are discussing.
When referring to the USB port what is the device “class” as defined by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF)? USB Device Classes - Developer Help
Here are some examples of what I mean.
HID (Human Interface Device) Class (0x03) – Covers devices like keyboards, mice, game controllers, and other input devices.
Mass Storage Class (MSC) (0x08) – Covers USB flash drives, external hard drives, and other storage devices.
Printer Class (0x07) – Covers USB-connected printers.
Still Image Class (0x06) – Covers scanners and digital cameras that transfer images over USB.
If the port is a Class 0x07, then the OS will treat it as an output printer. If it’s a 0x06, it’s treated like and input imaging device and of course a 0x03 is a HID device like mouse, keyboards etc. Which Class is the H2D USB Port?
Dude seriously, take a moment and think about this. The FAQ says you need a USB drive in the printer for LAN mode. Does it really matter how they configure that as long as you can access the files and it works on the printer? You are digging for reasons to be unreasonable when the FAQ is very clear. The USB is a key for LAN mode, doesn’t matter how they end up using it, you need a USB drive in the printer for LAN mode. LAN mode exists and is usable, you just need to format and plug a USB drive into the printer. I don’t know how else to say this, so I’m no longer going to reply to you in regards to this topic, as I genuinely believe you are deliberately being difficult.
I think you’re reading too much into it - according to rumors, the USB port is not mentioned as a connectivity option, and the omission of an SD card slot only implies that it will have an USB port (like the existing P1/X1 ones) which you can use to add storage to the printer.
And in that way - it would act as the existing printers, you won’t be able to use LAN-only mode without some storage available to the printer as there is not enough operating buffer to store large G-code files (or to store print logs / recordings) locally. Sure, they can implement trickle-deployment locally as well, but they don’t want to be bothered at this time apparently. That being said, if they’re not investing in local deployment without storage their decision to further lock down their printers and funnel all comms through their authorized middleware makes even less sense…
now, can we just run a usb cable from our pc to the printer? Would that be even smarter than ethernet? Since not all motherboard have an output. And most people just have a single router in their home? no network needed. Print without a router involved?
Ethernet makes since in a farm setting, but does anybody think these will end up in farms? Or sitting next to a pc?
In the specs list it only mentions USB under storage, I may be reading into though. I don’t see another category it would fit under unless you think “network control” fits but I wouldn’t think so.
I don’t personally foresee these in farms, maybe one for specialty prints, but otherwise I feel like there are many printers with a better value for your main fleet
Just to be clear, in case you haven’t realised it by now, from how the leaked specs describe this, it will not be a USB client port (ie. HID, MSC, etc) but a USB host port, for a USB flash drive to be connect to it.
And from this, the USB flash drive needs to be present in order for you to send a print over WiFi using LAN mode.
@Olias Not sure if it matters but my guess is it’s just Mass Storage Class (MSC) (0x08) if it’s just replacing the functions of the SD card.
Just a disk as far as the printer is concerned.
I think you’re envisioning something that works like a regular 2D printer. If we’re correct that the USB is just simple storage (like an SD card), then no you can’t wire it up to a PC.
I’m not sure that’d be objectively better either. In my case it’d be worse - I have the printer in a very different location of the house, which has a wired LAN connection to a locally located WIFI. Running a USB wire up there would be a real pain (although, possibly better than relying on WIFI) in my case. Also I suppose it’d need OS-specific support/drivers if it operated as a USB device from the PC’s perspective.
Not that I am in the market for this anyway. As I’ve stated before, trust is lost.
At first glance, maybe but do any of the current lineup have a USB port? And there is also mention of 8GB eMMC (onboard storage)… so that would make inability to do LAN mode printing quite odd. It is quite understandable that the mere mention of USB in relation to the H2D gets people’s hopes up (as a hardwired/direct connection option would be quite advantageous), but everything so far indicates it is host mode, not client mode, so is not for connecting to a PC, etc.
P1/X1 do have an USB port, but I’m not sure if the data pins connect to anything (I might take a peak later) - it’s primarily used to power 3rd party mods like the Panda Touch, added LED lighting, fume extractors etc. Maybe they just enabled a host mode on it for aux storage and saved a few pennies on dealing with SD cards…
Thanks for this comment, I have a P1S and have not looked at the panda screen or aux lights so wasn’t aware that this was actually there. Had to take a mirror and look on the back side of the area where the existing touch screen is.
And I personally am not a big fan of micro cards for storage, I’m a little rough on them. I use an extender so I lessen the chance of damaging the socket or flattening out the top of the card.
Thank you @lou that was the lucid explanation I was looking for.
What was confusing me was the reference of LAN mode versus USB mass storage. If Bambu decides to implement a true USB peripheral interface and treat the printer as a target peripheral like a regular inkjet or traditional desktop printer, it would be a move forward. This motion to “force” everyone on Wi-Fi feels like an “agenda”. There is no good reason not to implement a USB interface since just about every ESP32 or ARM class SOC has that baked into the chip. In fact, one has to not connect those pins.
I’ve stated it before and it’s worth stating over and over again. @BambuLab Why are you bullying your customers into connecting only one way? Why do you block us from options? We continue to beat that dead horse but that’s what has essentially soured me on Bambu as a company.