Update for the A1 Heatbed Recall in Europe

That was in the automated message sent to all EU customer.

I donā€™t have much stake in this as i donā€™t own an A1 or live in EU, but thought iā€™d chime in on the distinction between ā€œskilled personā€ vs ā€œcertifiedā€ that iā€™ve seen mentioned a few times.

In this context we need to look at what the regulating body actually defines a skilled person as, not what we would would percieve skilled vs certified as-

Electrically skilled person: a person with relevant education and experience to enable him or her to perceive risks and to avoid hazards that electricity can create [this term is defined in the IEC 60050-195-2021].

British Standard BS 7671 defined the term ā€œskilled personā€ similarly to the IEC: person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create.

NOTE 1: The term ā€œ(electrically)ā€ is assumed to be present where the term ā€˜skilled personā€™ is used throughout BS 7671.
NOTE 2: Regulation 16 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury. The HSE publication HSR25 provides guidance on this.

Analysis of definitions of the term in question in international and national standards indicates that the term ā€œelectrically skilled personā€ characterizes a group of persons who:

• have received special education in the operation of the electrical installations of buildings and the electrical equipment installed in them;
  • have adequate training in safety rules for the operation of the electrical installations of buildings and electrical equipment installed therein.

Essentially, just because you may consider yourself competent/skilled in electronics, that wouldnā€™t necessarily be considered a ā€œskilled personā€ as it pertains to these regulations.

1 Like

This is not self replace anymore, and according to one of the BL message, the printer has to be sent back and refunded:

ā€œAlso note that in some countries, due to regulations, this self-replacement of the bed by the customer may not be an option and in this case the only solution is to return the printer for a refund.ā€

1 Like

is this part of the toDos and missing in this Announcement? then yes, I undelete my post again, then the post I made make senseā€¦

I am certified and I want to change the heatbet on my own.

To everyone who is not: You are getting a 129ā‚¬ discount code with your new heatbed. Search for a local TV/radio-workshop who may do the exchange for you - they will cost less than 129ā‚¬ā€¦

But thats not good enough. The 120 can only be used at the bambu store, its not cash, people may not have cash to spend on an extra thing, and neither should they. Bambu have said they will cover the cost, but even so Im not sending my printer away, I chose this option to avoid that.

1 Like

Even in January/February they send out a complete manual on how to change the heatbed - in every posting with the notice that local regulations may forbid you to do this on your own.

Am I the only one who watched the youtube video, googled the regulations and then decided that I can do this on my own before clicking on Option 1?

Did you all just see the money while deciding?

1 Like

I watched the video, i am happy i have the skills to do this at the time (also in the latest video). But i would need to box is it up to get it certified as i am not qualified (officially) to sign it off

Lets be 100% clear here. Its BL responsibility to ensure the situation is crystal clear, it is not up to the customers to have to trawl through regulations to find out what might happen.

1 Like

The problem though is Bambu have changed the terms of agreement adding more steps that were not part of option 2 when making a choice.

I think the problem is not the certification as you for sure perform plenty of repairs on your mains at home without having second thought, right?. So who cares about it except Bambulab layers to cover their aā€¦ The problem would be warranty and discount code. If Bambu had said, look your regulations require certain things so be advised that you should comply as a European resident but for us, Bambu, what we only need is 3 pictures youā€™ve done it properly for warranty and discount to apply (like in other jurisdictions). It would have been fair and have avoided all this mess.

1 Like

So just received my emailā€¦

UK :uk: userā€¦

This paragraph states Electrically Skilled Person, which I am as a Field Service Engineer, and ā€œif YOU deem necessaryā€ they can help, so the onus is put on me to decide if Iā€™m am happy with the job Iā€™ve done and sent the 3 required pictures for them to check then thatā€™s that.

No mention on this email about any certification needing to be shown or test equipment serial numbers etc.

To me if that is all thatā€™s required then it shouldnā€™t be a problem and seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup?

1 Like

As i understand it , its as simple as can you change a plug as per health and saftey in the uk ? yes ? then you are considered electrically skilled person and BL would like the oppurtunity to verify your skills (hence the right n wrong ways to proceed) with images /photos of the instulation , otherwise they will ship the printer to someone who can , i understand a lot of the bigger holding warehouses all have one for checking returns etc.

This User has got the new bed, sent the pictures, got the discount codeā€¦. Job done back to printing :blush:

2 Likes

Neiljt

5d

Step 4 How to proceed . i can also change a plug correctly as per health and saftey
25chars

But they were American, so not subject to the safety check.

It would appear they are , if you want the voucher

Americans do not have to do a safety check, there is no regulation covering it for them. They have to send the photos, but not perform the electrical test.

and get the instulation signed off as safe as per step 4 how to / how not to proceed ( that is the test ) which in turn would release bambu of any liability and release the voucher to you, in europe they are obliged to inform you.

is there somewhere to read this standard (that doesnā€™t involve paying Ā£250-300?)

Iā€™m confident & competent to do the work - I want to read clearly (myself) what is necessary to honestly comply